What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ethernet Adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gant22

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anyone know if Apple has any plans to develop an Ethernet adapter to connect to a LAN? This would be great for places where is no Wifi connection (such as at work).

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
A short answer is no however what I recommend is a portable wifi 3G adapter (myfi) unsure what is availabe in USA but in Australia we have vodaphone and virgin both prepay and contract options Cost of unit from $100us plus prepay top up. If is very small fits in pocket recharge from USB supports unto 5 devices

Last edited:

renatog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anyone know if Apple has any plans to develop an Ethernet adapter to connect to a LAN? This would be great for places where is no Wifi connection (such as at work).
Serious?? Ethernet adapter? Dang...
No but seriously though, my suggestion is to get a small RJ45 to Wifi adapter, aka wireless bridge aka wireless gaming adapter. Here's one after some searching: (I can't post links yet but here you go)
Go to AMAZON and search for WGA54G

Though you should check with your company to see if this is OK because you're opening up a network port to everyone in the near vicinity, which is a big security risk.

Good luck

renatog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Almost forgot to mention using mobile hotspot with your company. I have a rooted Android phone so I can do it for free :D but you might have to pay extra to your provider unless you root/jailbreak your phone.

T

TJK

This has been hashed out in several threads before.

I use an Apple Airport express for connecting in those situations where only a wired ethernet port is available and Sprint OverDrive for connecting 3G / 4G when I travel.

It is technically possible to build a USB to ethernet adapter (not off the shelf) for iOS devices but it would only allow certain functions like media streaming or some control such as via CoreMidi. Unfortunately I don't think web / email type connections are possible.

scottrussell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you seen the "Redpark" ethernet adapter for the iPad? I'd like to try it, but it's expensive (~$60 on two websites). When I travel with my family, we have several iOS devices. Unfortunately, hotel wi-fi internet access is always locked down to one device (locked to its specific MAC address). This means I have to pay $10 per day for EACH DEVICE.

With a laptop, you can connect to a portable router & clone the MAC address to the router. Then the router can act as the wifi source for EVERY DEVICE. (This would allow $10 daily wi-fi, no matter how many devices you have.) Unfortunately, the Airport Express does not support MAC address cloning. I'm told the "D-Link 1350" wireless router does support this, as do many others. But without a laptop, you don't have an interface (via ethernet) to the router in order to accomplish the MAC address cloning step.

Perhaps with this Redpark adapter, you can get this working -- even without a laptop. Anyone every try it?

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Since this is well over a year old..we are going to close out this thread. It has reached its maturity date.

With this-we will now close this thread. Thank you for your understanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts