What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Error message 1604

misey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have tried to upgrade several times to the iso5 I get the same error message every time can some on please help. Any suggestions? I have tried on different computers. Have updated iTunes reinstalled still can not update

iFrog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Error 1604

Device was not pwned (signature checks were not blocked). Custom firmware can't be restored. Can also happen when there's a problem with the IPSW.

====================

You are just trying a normal restore from itunes?

iFrog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Check this as well... from other post

Hi, Klawster:

However, we'll need more info from you. What type of iPad are you using (iPad1 or 2). Are you jailbroken or just trying to restore a stock iPad? What version of iOS and iTunes do you have? And, maybe - why are you trying to restore? And last - what is the exact thing that's happening as you try to restore the iPad.

The folk here are very helpful and friendly. So, hopefully, if you give us more info - someone can help.

Marilyn

OP
M

misey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have 4.3.5 currently. My ipad2 is only 3 months old. I was trying to update to 5

NRSNicky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
According to Apple support: The 1604 error occurs when you are trying to restore your iDevice to a firmware version that iTunes sees as being older than what's on it currently. The trick is to put the iDevice into DFU mode as opposed to Recovery. DFU mode has only a black screen and is thus bypassing the iBoot sequence which checks the firmware version. Recovery is when iBoot has already loaded. Recovery has the iTunes and USB cable symbols on the screen.

Put the iDevice into DFU by first connecting it to the computer and starting iTunes. Then, press and hold both the power and home buttons for exactly 10 seconds. At 10 seconds, release the power button but continue holding the home button. After a few seconds more, iTunes should see the iDevice and still report that it's in recovery mode, but your iDevice screen will stay black.

At this point, you can option-Restore the device to the current released firmware. Hope this helps!

OP
M

misey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks I will try that and let you know

OP
M

misey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I attempted once again and still got the error 1604. I did notice every time I click upgrade it kicks me off the Internet could that be the problem. It goes all the way to updating and then says can not update error 1604. Ugh I give up!

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So I attempted once again and still got the error 1604. I did notice every time I click upgrade it kicks me off the Internet could that be the problem. It goes all the way to updating and then says can not update error 1604. Ugh I give up!

You might want to try this - http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...lsafe-method-restore-current-version-ios.html

I would suggest if you have never been jailbroken then skip Step 2, but absolutely follow the rest... You should get IOS5 installed OK if you follow all the steps.

Last edited:

Most reactions