What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Emails suddenly disappeared from my POP mail account on the iPad

OP
G

galaxed

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Your symptom isn't exactly the same as mine, since my emails only disappear from the inbox and the ones in the trash remain on the iPad in the trash, but it sure sounds similar. I also have mine set to collect mail manually, not to push, and I never had this problem until the last couple of months. You may be on to something that it is a manifestation of a recent software update. How does one contact Apple to ask for a fix?

Sue1964

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use imap and its just happened to me. Still on iPhone though. I don't have "push" on so I get e mails manually. Unlike my phone I don't have the option to "never" remove. Can only do this for "deleted" items. All very strange.....I have 3 other e mail accounts and they are all fine. I think it probably happened when did an update last night.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use imap and its just happened to me. Still on iPhone though. I don't have "push" on so I get e mails manually. Unlike my phone I don't have the option to "never" remove. Can only do this for "deleted" items. All very strange.....I have 3 other e mail accounts and they are all fine. I think it probably happened when did an update last night.

There are existing threads for people with IMAP whose emails have disappeared after upgrades. This thread isn't about your issue; this is about POP accounts.

Ronfromcocoa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It will not help, trust me, I have had this same mail problem for three months now with no explanation. Happens
Every few weeks, swoosh gone and then works okay for another then starts all over again.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It will not help, trust me, I have had this same mail problem for three months now with no explanation. Happens
Every few weeks, swoosh gone and then works okay for another then starts all over again.

Sounds like a prob you've not gotten to the bottom of, and are maybe willing to live with. If it were me, I'd not have put up with it. I've not encountered missing emails, though, and I've been on iPad since the beginning. Currently, my oldest POP email on iPad is from mid-November 2012, on a POP account. I expect to keep it indefinitely. (It's an Apple gift card credit, and I've seen nothing I want from Apple yet.)

Dtbriten

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just reset it, thanks, but I guess I won't know unless all the emails suddenly vanish again. I keep hoping I'll run across someone who's had the identical problem and be totally enlightened.

Here's your person. It just happened to me again. I've had the ipad for 2 years and its done it to me 3 times now. I also have POP, have talked to my provider, checked all my settings. Everything is as it should be. Did u ever find a solution?

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This thread is almost a year old but that's ok. Pop accounts are hit an miss. I suggest setting up a gmail account and forward all your mail direct to gmail. The iPad supports gmail direct and you should find it is more stable. Oh Welcome to our forum.

Fbchris

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here's your person. It just happened to me again. I've had the ipad for 2 years and its done it to me 3 times now. I also have POP, have talked to my provider, checked all my settings. Everything is as it should be. Did u ever find a solution?

I have been having the same issues. I have two pop3 email accounts and are both set up correctly. No issues at all on my iPhone, but on my gen 3 ipad every once in a while messages in my inbox just go missing. Seems to happen when starting a manual download of 100 plus messages (mostly spam!). And yes, I have settings at displaying 400 messages. This is incredibly frustrating and can't depend on the main function of this device.
So to be clear on my issue, it's a pop3 mail account (both of them), set to leave on the server after download, fetch was turned off but I'm trying it on now. This has happened multiple times and happened again last night. Started downloading about 120 messages and then all inbox messages older than about 3 days just disappear. Other times it was all messages that were gone. The email app did lock up briefly at the same time.
I've been combing the forums for help. Seems like many have this problem, but no solutions. My thoughts on what people say about pop3 mail, bs! I've been using it all this time on two pcs and the iPhone with zero issues until now. And it's absurd that iPhone/ipad backups do not include email messages.
I'm going to meet with one of the apple 'geniuses' and see if they can help. I'll post any solutions.
Chris

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
iCloud supports email back up however I donot use it.

I again use gmail not only is your mail backed up it is also available on any i device or computer you own. I have no issues regarding emails using that method. Make sure iCloud email is turned off if using gmail. In addition I use mail box as my mail client as it offers more features than Apple mail program it also is showing 7000 messages. In addition I have the gmail app so I can check my mail direct if I choose to. I use the direct gmail app to purge old emails in bulk.

Fbchris

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah I have a Gmail account too and no issues there. For now though I'm stuck with the Pop account for work use. The problem with using iCloud to sync and backup is syncing with Outlook which I use on my PC. Can't seem to find a way to sync the three so I end up doing things manually.

The 'genius' at the Apple store did find that between my iphone and ipad the port settings were different on both Pop accounts. Now that all matches I'll see if that solves the disappearing mail problem. I'm not very confident.

What I gathered from talking to him was Apple assumes that all email uses IMAP or an Exchange server which would be backed up by the mail server, so there is no need to back up email messages via iTunes or iCloud. Leaves a lot of people out though. Forwarding mail through Gmail is not a viable option. It would make sorting mail impossible since it would all come from myself.

Claudia Kuhns

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been searching the internet about disappearing emails. I did not have any problems until I switched my ISP to Century Link. I have had email set up on desktop, iPad and iPhone. What happened today was that everything from my desktop inbox disappeared. I use Mac Mail. As it was disappearing, Mac Mail showed that there was incoming mail, which was not correct. When I checked my iPad I discovered that everything there had disappeared. The missing email in not in Trash or Junk. The emails also disappeared from the Century Link Inbox at the same time.

Most reactions

Latest posts