What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Incoming email suddenly has wrong timestamp

modemjunkie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The date and time on incoming mail on my iPad2 email app has suddenly stopped tracking the time set on the device. I have never had this problem before. The dates and time on mail in my webmail are accurate, but when I receive them via the iPad email, they the are about 4 1/2 hours late. If I send myself a test email the time stamp is about 4 1/2 hours off as well. I am running iOS 6.x I have location services on and have tried setting the time manually by city and automatically. No change.

I pull mail from SpamCop.net, Gmail and me.com All are dated incorrectly when they appear in my inbox. The "last update" time shown in the app is correct.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Len

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Is the correct time zone set up? (settings - General - Date & Time - Time Zone)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You've probably done this, but if not, try turning the iPad off then on again. It's possible the Mail app or iOS itself is acting up and needs to be restarted.

OP
M

modemjunkie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just noticed the time stamps aren't even in the right order. A note I copied myself on from my PC at 3:48 p.m, shows a time stamp of 11:19 a.m. While one I sent at 3:56 shows a time stamp of 10:35 a.m. in other words, the second email has a time stamp 44 minutes earlier.

By time stamp, I mean the time that shows up in the list of incoming emails.

OP
M

modemjunkie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My "sent Mai" box shows the correct time. But the cc:s which arrived in my inbox have the wrong time.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hmm. Well Sent emails don't go through the mail server. They just get placed int he Sent folder. CC's would probably go out to the server and back.

If it's not an iPad problem, I wonder if it is an SMTP server problem. Webmail likely uses a different service and/or server for sending your emails.

If restarting doesn't do the job you can try deleting and re-adding your accounts. At least the IMAP or Exchange accounts. You might think twice for a POP account.

This will make sure they are using the current/correct settings and servers. ISP's do sometimes make changes.

OP
M

modemjunkie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If it's not an iPad problem, I wonder if it is an SMTP server problem. Webmail likely uses a different service and/or server for sending your emails.

If restarting doesn't do the job you can try deleting and re-adding your accounts. At least the IMAP or Exchange accounts. You might think twice for a POP account.

This will make sure they are using the current/correct settings and servers. ISP's do sometimes make changes.

Great suggestion. I just tested sending through the ipad ap to my gmail and me.com addresses. Both came thought with the correct time stamps, I use them only for special purposes and didn't realize they didn't have a problem. And my SpamCop account did have problems this week. I hate to delete it(I always make typos, especially typing on my iPad. )

Thanks,

Thumbs Grossman

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Great suggestion. I just tested sending through the ipad ap to my gmail and me.com addresses. Both came thought with the correct time stamps, I use them only for special purposes and didn't realize they didn't have a problem. And my SpamCop account did have problems this week. I hate to delete it(I always make typos, especially typing on my iPad. )

Thanks,

Thumbs Grossman

It might correct itself, given time. Not with the emails already sent, of course.

I'm not familiar with SpamCop; but it looks like they offer both POP and IMAP server options. If you are not using IMAP I recommend you switch to that option. It's far easier to delete and re-add an account under IMAP (without risking some email folder foulups) than it is with POP.

Good luck, whatever you decide to do.

OP
M

modemjunkie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
:)Thanks to all. Especially twerppoet.

As I figured it took a number of tries to delete and reinstall my main account. I pull from SpamCop. That was no problem but configuring my outgoing server lgrossman.com took many tries. All of a sudden all the mail I tried to send to myself but couldn't finally went in a batch and came through... The sad thing is that I don't know what I'd did wrong the first seventy-leven times. But now it is working.... and tje time stamps seem correct.

Thanks again

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you are on the computer, go to the post you want to thank and move your mouse pointer just under the Quote Reply buttons. You'll see a row of icons. Mouse over them to see what each one says. All are considered positive except Disagree, Optimistic, and Creative; which are considered neutral. I'm not sure why Dislike is positive. Strange.

On the iPad in Safari the icons are visible at all times, but there is no ready way to tell what they mean. However the first one, thumbs up, is Like, and always appropriate.

In the TapaTalk all all you can do is Like. Just tap on the post to get a popup menu with the option.

Here is a list of the rating and their meanings that I stole from another thread: With all thanks to the Admin who share it. Sorry not to remember the name.

3823d43af0fc58a8bb487676e37d9535.png

OP
M

modemjunkie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you are on the computer, go to the post you want to thank and move your mouse pointer just under the Quote Reply buttons. You'll see a row of icons. Mouse over them to see what each one says. All are considered positive except Disagree, Optimistic, and Creative; which are considered neutral. I'm not sure why Dislike is positive. Strange.

On the iPad in Safari the icons are visible at all times, but there is no ready way to tell what they mean. However the first one, thumbs up, is Like, and always appropriate.

In the TapaTalk all all you can do is Like. Just tap on the post to get a popup menu with the option.

Here is a list of the rating and their meanings that I stole from another thread: With all thanks to the Admin who share it. Sorry not to remember the name.

View attachment 58310
Well, I had tapped thumbs up to both of your replies. I do hope that did it.! Meanwhile, a new problem:

When I set SpamCop.net up as an IMAP account the timestamp problem was fixed, but a new problem created. When I try to delete messages I get am error message telling me I can't move the file to the trash folder. So. I deleted and reentered the account as a POP account. Now I can delete messages, but the order is once again jumbled, Tis a puzzlement.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Try the IMAP setup again, then dig into the Advanced settings and make sure your email folders are setup for the server.

You should be able to find your advances settings by tapping on the email address and thens scrolling down to Advanced. Or just tap around in the accounts settings until you find them.

POP stores your trash, sent, and I think drafts locally. IMAP can store them either locally or on the server. The server being the prefered method; since it keeps your folders synced between devices/computers.

Of course, Mail trying to save your emails to Trash on the server may be the problem. In that case you may have to contact SpamCop's support and ask them what's up.

Most reactions

Latest posts