What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Email problems - connection to the outgoing server failed

Jen_isis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All was fine until today.

I have 4 email accounts on the iPad - one exchange account, 2 gmails, one university account (outlook based).

All work fine from home.

Today at work I had a great wifi connection, but the exchange account was pretty much frozen. The most recent message all day was from right before I left home.

I tried fiddling with the settings- I added stmp.gmail.com for outgoing mail, but that didn't help. i tried setting it up as a new account, but " Verify" repeatedly failed. i ended up somehow deleting all the messages. So, I deleted the account. then I set it back up from home and it worked fine.

now I am at the University and once again having problems with both sending and receiving, on all accounts. I changed my port to 587. No go. the UMB.edu account won't send/receive and gmail doesn't appear to work either. It just tells me connection to the stmp.gmail.com server failed and then an imap failure message.

Anyone have ideas? jen

OP
J

Jen_isis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Follow up

I set my iPad to the same exact settings as my phone, which can send and receive mail just fine.

Still having problems!

Next, I got the phone off 3G and onto the university's wifi through my university login. now the phone is having problems. Can't send/receive just like the iPad, only no message saying it can't connect to the server.

So.... Could it be that some wifi networks cause problems with some email, while other wifi networks are fine? is there anything else I can do?

Jen

monkeyboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A lot of universities now block port 25 (SMTP) and perhaps other ports as well. Sounds like you need to talk to your network admin folks about the firewall. Some places only allow port 80... on the university Wifi, you may be allowed port 25 only to the university's SMTP server... this is a common spam-control strategy...

is your iPad on 3G or only your phone?

OP
J

Jen_isis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The weird thing is that I had no problems with the work wifi until today. MY email all worked fine before.

IO don't have 3G on my iPad.

I'll try port 80. Thx for the suggestion!

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
The weird thing is that I had no problems with the work wifi until today. MY email all worked fine before.

Your work can block ports on there network at any time, could work today and they decide to block it tomorrow for what ever reson they want.

also you changing the port in settings isnt going to do anything. Your email server that your connecting to has a specific port it uses to comunicate on and only that port will work with the server. Changing the port on the iphone/iPad would just make the device unable to communicat with the email server.

Is it only happening on your work wifi? if so its something on their end blocking you from communicating with the email server.

Last edited:

monkeyboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score

you cant just choose different ports without cooperation from who youre trying to connect to. Port 80, in case you didnt know, is the standard http port, ie web browsing, which is why its the one port that is likely to be open.

The standard smtp (outgoing email) port is 25, which is commonly block to reduce spam. imap is 143.

You really should have a chat with your network admin at work to figure out whats going on and what is blocked...

OP
J

Jen_isis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But it works just fine from some wifi. Just not from others.

monkeyboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
because depending on who sets up a paerticular wifi network, some will block port 25 and others wont... if that wifi hotspot is meant for webbrowsing only, then it is typical to block every port but port 80. I can imagine not only security and spam issues but also liability issues as well... leaving port 25 open is a huge vector for spam and viruses, fraud conducted over public wifi spots is another issue...

OP
J

Jen_isis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don't know what I managed to do, but in the course of deleting email accounts, and starting them back up from scratch, the problem was taken care of.

jobojobo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
IMAP on the iPad problem. I called Apple 3 times and my campus IT twice. The last guy at Apple had me compare every setting, EVERY setting between Touch and iPad and we found a default buried in outgoing server settings on the iPad that made the difference. I could receive and sync with campus mail but I could not send email.

baroness

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello people,
I'm new to this place same as to my iPad 2 3G wifi. :)
Here is my first and not last problem. I've got it registered in Cyprus, where I live, and it has no problem with getting my emails on the island with both 3G and wf. But as soon as I travel abroad the problem comes as this - iPad might keep silence all day long and suddenly downloads 40 emails (half of which is spam - and this is my other issue that i would like to ask for help). Then I spend another 30-40 minutes receiving the attachments and the worst of all - when I reply, my emails aren't going through whatever connection is on.
Can anybody give a hint on that?
And also, if you could lead to me to the topic of spam issue, would appreciate a lot!
Thanks a lot!

Most reactions

Latest posts