What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Problem sending email on 3G

notts

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPad 1 and have set up 2 imap mail accounts, I use it a lot to receives mail whilst out and about but have noticed that I can send or receive with no problems when at home on wifi but can only receive mail when using 3G network. I get the message ' the connection to the outgoing server "smtp.ntlworld.com" failed. Additional outgoing mail severs can be configured in settings> mail, contact, calenders.' Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think this may be the famous 'Port 25 relay' problem. Does your ISP support SSL and other port numbers? The problem is that, when you're 'out and about' the ISP can't verify your identity using SMTP and 'Port 25'. Because you don't have to supply a password for SMTP on Port 25 the ISP cannot be sure you say who you say you are. So you need to switch to a protocol that has SSL - most ISPs do - if your ISP doesn't then send via Google; they support SSL and I've used them without any problems...

Tim

OP
N

notts

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Quick follow up for anybody having trouble sending mail via ntlworld. It would appear that anybody using the old ntlworld.com emails can't send mail on 3G as they do not support password authentication. Changing the following settings has solved the problem for me.

Change the outgoing server from smtp.ntlworld.com to smtp.virginmedia.com.
Put in you username ending with .ntlworld.com.
Enter you password.
Set use SSL to on.
Go into authentication and click 'password'' when you back it should now say password in the authentication box.
Change server port to 465.
Click done and it should work, well it did for me.

Hope this helps.

Mark

Most reactions

Latest posts