What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Email folders/mailboxes

woodgu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just got an iPad. I have moved to it from a PC. On MS Outlook I had numerous folders to parse my saved emails. I seem to be unable to do so on the iPad. Since I am new to Apple and it's terms, am I overlooking something.

Thank you,
Phil

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So you want to create a folder to put emails in?

You have to create the folders on the mail server and iPad should show them. So, if you can access your email from the web, open safari and go to your email. Create a folder there and it should show up the iPad.

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
graywolf said:
So you want to create a folder to put emails in?

You have to create the folders on the mail server and iPad should show them. So, if you can access your email from the web, open safari and go to your email. Create a folder there and it should show up the iPad.

The process is identical in Windows

Sent from my iPad 1 using iPF - Greetings

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think the problem the OP is facing is that, in Window, if you used the legacy POP mail protocol you could create folders *locally* on Outlook, Windows Mail etc. On the iPad there is no way to create folders actually on the iPad itself. Rather you have to move from the older POP protocol to the newer IMAP protocol and then the iPad's native Mail app will become a 'window' onto your email server and will reflect the folder structure present on that server.

But there is still no way to locally create mail folders - they need to be created on your email server first and then they will subsequently show up on the iPad.

Tim

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know what he meant. But I said to go to safari, (aka any Internet browser) so wouldn't that imply that you can do it from any computer with Internet?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ah, but with some POP accounts (such as Time Warner Roadrunner, BTW), you can create folders on the web all day and they still won't show up on the iPad. I'd love to be corrected on this point, but that's the situation I found myself in when I first got my iPad.

That's why I now use a Gmail account now for e-mail. I can make/use folders all day with that. Oh, and I can send mails while outside my ISP, also. Sigh. One of these days, Roadrunner will join the IMAP community...

Marilyn

No1zeppelinfan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ah, but with some POP accounts (such as Time Warner Roadrunner, BTW), you can create folders on the web all day and they still won't show up on the iPad. I'd love to be corrected on this point, but that's the situation I found myself in when I first got my iPad.

That's why I now use a Gmail account now for e-mail. I can make/use folders all day with that. Oh, and I can send mails while outside my ISP, also. Sigh. One of these days, Roadrunner will join the IMAP community...

Marilyn

When you say it syncs your Gmail folders do you mean the labels? I've just opened a Gmail account and wondered if the labels will be added when I add it to my Ipad?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
When you say it syncs your Gmail folders do you mean the labels? I've just opened a Gmail account and wondered if the labels will be added when I add it to my Ipad?

Yes, that's what I meant. When you add that Gmail account to your Mail app, then all those labels (a.k.a folders) will show up on the iPad.

Then, whatever you do on the iPad will be synched to Gmail. You can move e-mails around within the labels/folders, delete from them, etc. Well, except you can't delete the labels/folders. That will have to be done via the web.

Bottom line, the iPad's Mail app will mirror your Gmail web site. And ... they will stay in sync.

Honestly, having Roadrunner not play well with my iPad was the best thing. Gmail is so much better! :D

Marilyn

wtcoppersmith

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This forum convinced me so I am now using Gmail as my primary email .....not only does Gmail replicate your folders in all the locations (unlike Hotmail) it also DELETES from all when you delete from the iPad...and that is really handy.

Most reactions