What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Email address rejected

robin635

iPF Noob
Reaction score
On several sites to either purchase goods or enter competitions (John Lewis,Tech Radar,What Hi fi)my email address is not recognised as valid both my GMail and Ntlworld ,and so the iPad 2 has to be abandoned for a desktop pc.Any
ideas appreciated.

OP
R

robin635

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The solution Archangel is my email addresses were one word before the @ by creating new address with full stop in it the address is accepted.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
robin635 said:
The solution Archangel is my email addresses were one word before the @ by creating new address with full stop in it the address is accepted.

Wow, I have never heard of that before but great news that you got a solution to the problem......thanks for letting us know.

The Archangel

OP
R

robin635

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was a bit previous with my joy still have the same problem.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Normally email address validation is done on a website with a simple regex / regular expression check.

Is there something unusual in the format your your email address? Is it out of the ordinary? In particular does it contain any characters you might not normally see in the vast majority of email addresses?

A common issue with "old" websites are that the regex does not support 4 character top level domains... e.g. myname @ domain.info

If that's the issue for you, there is not much you can do about it, other than contact the websites and tell them the regex they are using to validate emails is flawed / out of date. You might also consider creating yourself another "backup" email address on a different domain which validates 100% of the time.

Last edited:
OP
R

robin635

iPF Noob
Reaction score
f4780y said:
Normally email address validation is done on a website with a simple regex / regular expression check.

Is there something unusual in the format your your email address? Is it out of the ordinary? In particular does it contain any characters you might not normally see in the vast majority of email addresses?

A common issue with "old" websites are that the regex does not support 4 character top level domains... e.g. myname @ domain.info

If that's the issue for you, there is not much you can do about it, other than contact the websites and tell them the regex they are using to validate emails is flawed / out of date. You might also consider creating yourself another "backup" email address on a different domain which validates 100% of the time.

Unfortunately that's not the case I have tried several different combinations ,name.number@, initials.surname@ and other variations with virginmedia.com and gmail.com all of which I have used without problem sending emails.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am not following the gist of this thread at all. So the issue is when using certain websites in Safari, it rejects the email address? If the site accepts it via another browser on a PC or Mac, then the issue could be the website coding where the validation routine is not having the information parsed correctly back to the web server, therefore producing the error.

I don't know whether you would necessarily blame Safari, but more likely the web site coding is not safari friendly. Either way, I would not blame the iPad itself.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well there should be nothing wrong with virginmedia or gmail addresses used anywhere. The issue must be with how you are submitting them on your device, particularly if it is intermittent.

Definitely don't use copy / paste since it is easy to pick up spurious spaces or other control characters which might not be visible to your eye. Always type them out manually and carefully. Another thing to watch for is autocorrect. Make sure the device is not changing what you are putting in without you noticing it.
Also, ensure you are always picking up and entering any validation fields on the site - i.e. where they ask you to repeat your address to validate you typed it correctly. The number of times I've seen folks misunderstand or ignore those and subsequently spent hours trying to help them is incredible!

The bottom line is sites like the ones you mention (John Lewis etc.) and email providers like gmail etc. do not have any kind of widespread problems with their infrastructure. The deal with these types of transactions millions of times a day. It is much more likely, given you are working with completely normal email addresses, that the issue is at your end, and no offence intended, but in my experience 99% of the time it's the human to blame... :)

Hope you get it sorted.

Tudor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One thing I have found is that Safari sometimes seems to add a space to the end of an email address. This is rejected by some, but not all, sites as an invalid email address. What I have done is set a string of characters like 'qws' to generate my email address, sure saves a lot of typing.

OP
R

robin635

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am not following the gist of this thread at all. So the issue is when using certain websites in Safari, it rejects the email address? If the site accepts it via another browser on a PC or Mac, then the issue could be the website coding where the validation routine is not having the information parsed correctly back to the web server, therefore producing the error.

I don't know whether you would necessarily blame Safari, but more likely the web site coding is not safari friendly. Either way, I would not blame the iPad itself.

Thank you you may have something I have now installed Chrome and it appears to have solved the problem.

Most reactions