What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DVD to IPAD2 for viewing

dbeth

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Handbrake is what I use. Rips and converts for free.

Sent from my HTC Desire

Diesel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
dbeth said:
Handbrake is what I use. Rips and converts for free.

Sent from my HTC Desire

I'm a little new to this, what's next after ripping/converting a movie using HandBreak? I'm trying to transfer a couple of DVDs to the iPad for our kid to watch during a plane flight tomorrow. anyhow, I did the encoding but not sure what's next?

Thanks.

papabear55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Using hand brake is soooo simple especially if all you want to do is put movies on the iPad.
Install it, open it, then just slide in the desired DVD.
It should instantly recognize it and use it as the source video, if not just do it manually.
Once you got the source selected there should be a tab on the far right containing presets for video quality, and one of them will be for the iPad.
Then select the destination and hit the start button and viola.
After that just add the finished video file into iTunes

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Diesel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
papabear55 said:
Using hand brake is soooo simple especially if all you want to do is put movies on the iPad.
Install it, open it, then just slide in the desired DVD.
It should instantly recognize it and use it as the source video, if not just do it manually.
Once you got the source selected there should be a tab on the far right containing presets for video quality, and one of them will be for the iPad.
Then select the destination and hit the start button and viola.
After that just add the finished video file into iTunes

But how do you add the finish video to iTunes?

Diesel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
sjleworthy said:
just drag and drop

I get a message saying this movie want play with the device or iTunes...something like that. Now iTunes isn't even showing my device...neither my iPad or our son's ipad?

papabear55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can try right click and select to open with iTunes.
Make sure it saved it in .m4v format

Diesel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Heck, iTunes doesn't even list my devices anymore?? The only computer I got that even shows a device, only shows my son's old iPod that hasn't been used in over a year. I plug my iPad up and it still only shows the iPod?? This is very frustrating!

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
OK ALL - since my last post trying to sort out and 'narrow down' some of the many recommendations made previously, 3 have been re-emphasized:

DVD Magic: 1) Seems to convert & rip many different formats; 2) Removes ALL restrictions; 3) Not free - $35 (which is fine for me) - QUESTION - is it really true that all 'commercial' DVDs can be converted? These will be use only for my 'personal' viewing (i.e. 'fair use' in my mind).

DVDFab: 1) Seems to fulfil the same criteria as the one above, i.e. removes ALL protections; 2) However, the price listed is $50 - for those who may have tried both of these programs, which one is possibly superior esp. for the added cost?

Hand Brake: 1) Free & Open Source, so versions for different OS; 2) Current version release is only 0.9.5 - stable, bugs, etc?; 3) Under 'details' in their web page the following statement is made - Any DVD or Bluray-like source which is NOT copy-protected. (removal of copy protection is not supported) - so will this program convert my commercial DVDs?

Thanks for any additional information - sorry to be a pain, but would just like to obtain & use just one program, esp. if a paid one; and I'm sure many other iPaders out there are also interested.

PS - if my facts are wrong, please correct - :)

verbalj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is a free version of DVDFab. It works flawlessly and is updated frequently.

I'm a bit of a DVD nut, with a collection of more than 2,000 (which will probably be antiquated in a couple of years). To rip DVDs, I use AnyDVD to 99% of the time. The only other program I'd use is DVDFab. For converting to iDevice friendly formats, I use Handbrake, which is free.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There is a free version of DVDFab. It works flawlessly and is updated frequently.

I'm a bit of a DVD nut, with a collection of more than 2,000 (which will probably be antiquated in a couple of years). To rip DVDs, I use AnyDVD to 99% of the time. The only other program I'd use is DVDFab. For converting to iDevice friendly formats, I use Handbrake, which is free.

OK - already CONFUSING - sorry - :(

I accept that you know a lot! But, in just a few comments you have mentioned 3 different programs?

My point (for myself and I'm sure plenty of others), is there just ONE program (paid or not) that will do the JOB of ripping 'commercial' DVDs to the iPad (of course likely transferred from iTunes) in a consistent and accurate way?

There just seems to be TOO many options out there and not much agreement - thanks ALL for additional comments - :)

verbalj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
giradman said:
OK - already CONFUSING - sorry - :(

I accept that you know a lot! But, in just a few comments you have mentioned 3 different programs?

My point (for myself and I'm sure plenty of others), is there just ONE program (paid or not) that will do the JOB of ripping 'commercial' DVDs to the iPad (of course likely transferred from iTunes) in a consistent and accurate way?

There just seems to be TOO many options out there and not much agreement - thanks ALL for additional comments - :)

Sorry, lol. Is there one application that rips commercial DVDs and can convert them? I think dvdfab can do it, but that would be a paid software.

The easiest cheapest way would be to use dvdfab (http://www.dvdfab.com/hd-decrypter.htm) to rip the DVD, then use handbrake (http://handbrake.fr/downloads.php) to convert it. Both programs have very easy to navigate GUIs and both offer lots of options.

With these two programs, you can get the job done in two clicks.

Most reactions

Latest posts