What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best App for viewing movies?

wi11iam

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,
Apologies if in the wrong forum, but I'd love to hear opinions on which Apps are best for viewing movies on an iPad1?

I've also seen some writeups on how to convert movies to iPad format - again, opinions welcome. Is it at all possible to find an App that can play straight from VOB files, to avoid having to convert my DVD's?

Thanks all!!

OP
W

wi11iam

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, I take your point. What would you suggest for conversion (from a Windows PC)? Similarly, what is the best format for an iPad?

Thanks again!

BingoBongo275

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The ideal format for the iPad is MP4 and "Freemake Video Cmverter" is an excellent FREE converter for windows.

Its a breeze to use

Cheers

Jez

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
And a lot of people's favourite free movie conversion app - Handbrake. Available on Windows & Mac.

siteplan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use AVPlayer HD for the iPad because it can play a variety of formats. No need for any conversions.

OP
W

wi11iam

iPF Noob
Reaction score
siteplan said:
I use AVPlayer HD for the iPad because it can play a variety of formats. No need for any conversions.

Thanks, I've done some reading and now bought the AVPlayer. It looks to be working just great, but I think I may need to review how I actually rip my DVD's as when I use CloneDVD and rip it to VOB format, CloneDVD creates a number of .VOB and .IFO files. I copied all of these 29 files to m iPad, and can play each individual VOB itself, but the frustration is that I have to select each VOB individually.

Any suggestion as to how I should be ripping my DVD's to VOB so that they are all combined into one file.

Thanks
W

Reaction score
wi11iam said:
Any suggestion as to how I should be ripping my DVD's to VOB so that they are all combined into one file.

Thanks
W

Ripping in itself is the process of copying the files from DVD as they are onto the harddrive.

To combine those files into one file, you would convert them with a program, such as Handbrake. In Handbrake, you can choose the source folder and it then combines all video files located inside that folder into a single file.

siteplan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
siteplan said:

Thanks, I've done some reading and now bought the AVPlayer. It looks to be working just great, but I think I may need to review how I actually rip my DVD's as when I use CloneDVD and rip it to VOB format, CloneDVD creates a number of .VOB and .IFO files. I copied all of these 29 files to m iPad, and can play each individual VOB itself, but the frustration is that I have to select each VOB individually.

Thanks
W

I don't know how to do that. I usually just copy movies from my friends (legally ;))

jnewell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
siteplan said:

Thanks
W

I don't know how to do that. I usually just copy movies from my friends (legally ;))

I may be mistaken, but I thought that was exactly what was illegal? :confused:

sky2011

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

In use Movie player for iPad, it works fine, any format I guess.

siteplan

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Thanks
W

I may be mistaken, but I thought that was exactly what was illegal? :confused:

that's why I did this ;) at the end.

Most reactions

Latest posts