What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DVD to IPAD2 for viewing

Stefx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Handbrake is what I use. Rips and converts for free.

Sent from my HTC Desire

Please tell me how you RIP a copyrighted-DVD with Handbrake?

Everywhere I've looked/searched says you first have to rip with a 3rd party software, and THEN convert the RIP to iPad with Handbrake

From the Handbrake FAQ:

"First off, you should know that HandBrake is not a DVD ripper"

Last edited:

dbeth

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Handbrake is what I use. Rips and converts for free.

Sent from my HTC Desire

Please tell me how you RIP a copyrighted-DVD with Handbrake?

Everywhere I've looked/searched says you first have to rip with a 3rd party software, and THEN convert the RIP to iPad with Handbrake

From the Handbrake FAQ:

"First off, you should know that HandBrake is not a DVD ripper"

Here's what I have done the last 4 nights in a row using Handbrake (Mac OS X 10.7 Lion):

- Open Handbrake
- Insert DVD of choice (last night was Star Wars Episode I, previous night was Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl). Quit DVD Player if it opens automatically
- Selected 'Source' in Handbrake and then selected the DVD I just inserted
- If the destination it places the file is not what you like, change it
- Selected 'iPad' preset in the toggle drawer on the right
- Unchecked 'Large File Size'
- Pressed 'Start' in the toolbar at the top

After an hour or two, my file is now on my computer/drive and I can play it in a variety of media players. I can watch in QuickTime for instance.

To get it to my iPad, I just drag the file into iTunes, connect my iPad, select the movie, and sync.

This is how I have put DVDs on my computer/iPod/iPad/Android phone for several years now. I guess I don't know why people would pay $30 and up for something that works perfectly well (for me) for free.

Just my $0.02.

papabear55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hand rake by itself does not rip it requires VLC installed to do that. Both are free and work just fine for me.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well I'm back and appreciate the numerous suggestions (and some confusing combinations to use to get movies onto the iPad). Now I did download the trial version of Magic DVD - I ripped 2 'commercial' DVDs (Maltida & Babe), was able to bring the files into iTunes, play them from there as a test, and then sync them to my iPad - did not seem to need any additional program for further conversions - is this the experience of others w/ this program (or w/ other programs)?

Now my plan is to take the iPad 'on the road', connect to a hotel TV (by whatever connection is possible?), and then play these films from my iPad. These films were ripped as 640x480, i.e. standard VGA (assume this is the regular DVD resolution), so would a VGA adapter for the iPad be adequate? I was planning to purchase a VGA composite or component adapter and a HDMI (which I assume would just down size the video resolution) - what are the recommendations for these connection adapters.

Also looking on the Apple Store, the adapters that are offered there (e.g. VGA) have received rather poor reviews, but it is difficult to decide if the reviewers wanted more than the adapters offered or that the adapters did not even work well for their intended purpose(s) - any opinions?

Thanks for all of your help - :)

Rudinater

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Now my plan is to take the iPad 'on the road', connect to a hotel TV (by whatever connection is possible?), and then play these films from my iPad. These films were ripped as 640x480, i.e. standard VGA (assume this is the regular DVD resolution), so would a VGA adapter for the iPad be adequate? I was planning to purchase a VGA composite or component adapter and a HDMI (which I assume would just down size the video resolution) - what are the recommendations for these connection adapters.

I just about live in hotels, and unless your are staying in some no name hotel then the odd's are very good the tv will be a LCD tv with HDMI inputs. Just pick up a HDMI cable 12feet would be best and HDMI adaptor for the ipad.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I just about live in hotels, and unless your are staying in some no name hotel then the odd's are very good the tv will be a LCD tv with HDMI inputs. Just pick up a HDMI cable 12feet would be best and HDMI adaptor for the ipad.

Thanks Rudy - we just spent a couple nights in Boone, NC (went to see a concert w/ Tony Rice); stayed at a conveniently located (but really poorly maintained Comfort Suites - not our usual choice but cheap!) - well there was an old CRT TV in the room w/ absolutely NO connections in the back or on the front - felt like I was back in the 60s - LOL! :D

I'm about to order the Apple HDMI connection kit, and also have a 'spare' HDMI 6' cable. Now I use an HDMI cable at home for one of our HDTVs and understand that it carries HD digital video & audio - does it also function in carrying these ripped VGA resolution movies I now have on my iPad to an HDTV through that connection? As w/ many of these more modern standards, I'm assuming that the cable is 'backward' compatible?

Another question for all concerning the above issue - some hotels will have TVs w/o an HDMI connection, i.e. just S-video, audio, component, or composite options - how does one adapt the Apple HDMI cabled connection for this choice; I'd like something simple 'on the road' rather that carrying around another complete set of cables w/ 3 attachments, i.e. composite audio/video - I've seen the HDMI to composite cable only connectors but the reviews on Amazon have been universally poor (can those 2 standards really be wired together to work?); I've also seen little boxes, but another item to carry along on the road. Any advice concerning something small, not too expensive, and really functional would be appreciated; just would like several options depending on the TVs available. Thanks.

Dave :)

verbalj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, Handbrake will take your DVD and convert it to an iDevice-friendly format that you can keep on your computer. While some may interpret this as ripping, it's not. It's actually converting.

Ripping is when you put the entire disc/files onto your harddrive -- which is why Handbrake says it's not a ripper. It's just a converter. Semantics, yes.

AnyDVD by Slysoft is a ripper and it's also a decrypter (removing the copy protection of your DVDs). With AnyDVD running, Handbrake can take my DVDs and convert them to iDevice format. Without a decrypter, it most likely won't be able to do so.

Is it simple enough to insert a disc with a program like AnyDVD running and use Handbrake to convert it to mp4 on the fly? Yes. Would I? No.

Many DVD enthusiasts (myself included) hate the quality of encoding "on the fly" (meaning you're not ripping it to the harddrive and then converting it, you're just straight converting it from the source).

If you encode on the fly and then take a scan of the disc through Nero or any other similar programs, you'll see the difference in write quality.

With all that said, I would recommend ripping the DVD to the harddrive (with AnyDVD or DVDFab), then converting the DVD to your preferred format with Handbrake.

There are many rippers and converters out there, but I feel the aforementioned ones are easiest to use and cheapest (two of those three are free).

Last edited:

Vichon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After an hour or two, my file is now on my computer/drive and I can play it in a variety of media players. I can watch in QuickTime for instance.

...... I guess I don't know why people would pay $30 and up for something that works perfectly well (for me) for free.

Just my $0.02.

Some basic simple reasons:

1. Multiple destinations and enhanced abilities regarding formats, audio quality, etc. - I use/support several media destinations depending on where I'm using my media.

2. Speed. Most (I might even say all) GPL converters and a number of the pay versions (Jester comes to mind) *appear* to transcode via the intercepting the normal video stream from another player. The tools I use favor ones thet use their own transcoder and often approach the rated transfer speeds from the DVD - i.e. ripping at 10x+ speeds.

3. I found the ability to rip various movies and tolerate the protection schemes, intentional or not, to be slightly better on some products than others. (note I don't say this is exclusively pay versions - try them to see, it sometimes takes more than one tool)

4. The ability to rip/rename series dvd's - Say you rip the 6 episodes from Battlestar Galactica and want them in individual files with unique names that makes some sense - in a single pass/session.

Any one of these might be a source of annoyance, but all together caused my search to fine the product that met the greatest union of the features I liked. That required me to shell out the sum of $9.95 for which I've had regular enhancements and fixes without additional cost - well worth it in my opinion.

Vichon.

Last edited:

purdueengineer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
With all that said, I would recommend ripping the DVD to the harddrive (with AnyDVD or DVDFab), then converting the DVD to your preferred format with Handbrake.

i just ripped a dvd in using dvdfab and the ipad settings, tried it in itunes and the ipad and it works great. Why do I need to use handbrake after using dvdfab?

another question i don't know if it's related or not but, i'm watching the move on ipad using the video app that comes on the ipad. it is showing closed captioning at the bottom when they talk. can i take that off using this app or was it from the dvdfab ripping?

What other movie app would be better?

Thanks for the help.

fallguy9999

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi
No need to use any other software / app other than dvdfab. Have used DVD fab to put loads of videos on iPhone. Will now use with my new iPad.
With regards to the subtitles / sub picture that you can see. There is an option to turn this off before you rip the DVD. If your not sure where it is its all detailed in the DVD fab help section. In a nutshell you want to turn off all sub picture with exception of the forced sub picture.

purdueengineer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think I found it thanks.

What settings or what do I have to do to get the picture to fit the screen on the ipad?

Any app suggestion for watching the movies or is the native video app about the best?

Sorry for the question
Thanks in advance.

verbalj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What fallguy said is true, you don't need Handbrake. I didn't even realize that DVDFab had a iDevice converter (at least, I didn't know it was available on the free version). If that's the case, yes, just go with DVDFab. I'll actually try it in the coming days since I need to load up a few movies.

Most reactions

Latest posts