What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DVD to iPad

Lwood

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Handbrake Decoding errors - did not work

I just tried using Handbrake to encode the DVD Avatar. I had used AnyDVD to decrypt it; DVDShrink to get rid of the languages I don't speak and Handbrake to encode it. Set it for Apple TV and left all the other adjustments alone.

It came back after several errors with a ton of error codes - basically saying it could not encode the movie.

Should I have selected some special parameter to encode to the iPad other than Apple TV?

Thanks

Lee

xardoz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm using this: Lekusoft DVD Ripper - DVD Ripping, Blu-Ray DVD Ripper, Blu-ray DVD Audio Ripper, DVD to AVI,WMV,MP4 its on sale, it rips, encodes, and I can end up with one file to play all with one program. It has Ipad specific profiles, and does both Blu-Ray and DVD, (Have not tried Blu-Ray since I have none). You can try before you buy but it only does the first 3 mins. No financial connection to this product, just thought I would share what I found to be one of the simplest ways to go from DVD to single playable file on the Ipad.

BTW this is a Windows program....

mpengle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just tried using Handbrake to encode the DVD Avatar. I had used AnyDVD to decrypt it; DVDShrink to get rid of the languages I don't speak and Handbrake to encode it. Set it for Apple TV and left all the other adjustments alone.

It came back after several errors with a ton of error codes - basically saying it could not encode the movie.

Should I have selected some special parameter to encode to the iPad other than Apple TV?

Thanks

Lee

I did the exact thing you did with the exception of using DVDShrink and my version works fine. I didn't use any special parameters of Handbrake either. Could you be using an outdated version of AnyDVD by chance?

Also, as far as I know, you don't need to use any other programs to remove the languages. Handbrake should only encode it with the audio you choose, not all of the languages...

amw1972

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been using Any Video Converter for my iPod Touch and my various Windows Phones. Have not have an issue so far.

I'm wondering if anyone here can tell me the ideal frame size to set the conversion.

my available choices that I think are within range of what i can use are as follows:

1080 x 720
1280 x 720

I understand that the iPad doesn't play well with 1080p video.

(mine is being shipped as I type this...)

Thnx in Advance

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have a number of foreign language films and would be happy to buy an encoding program that included subtitles. So far I haven't found one yet.

mpengle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As far as I know Handbrake and Wondershare both allow subtitles. I know Handbrake does for sure anyway. If you have used it but the subtitles weren't in your file, it's because you manually have to add the subtitle to the encoding, which isn't that hard once you realize you need to add it.

clickerman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Movie studios are trying new copy protection schemes all the time. So the decription software has to be kept current. DVDFAB is updated almost weekly to keep up with the changes, but it works with all new DVD's (and bluray). It is not free, but has a one month free trial period. Also, it is fully customizable: subtitles, languages, resolution, bitrate. But it also has a standard preset for iPad. I don't know how long other programs take to turn a DVD into an iPad ready MP4, but DVDFAB takes about as long as the movie actually is.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks Zimmerman.

I've been using handbrake but it is limited to srt files and converting them from sub through Vobsub is a bit hit and miss.

dough54321

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here are my issues...

I use DVD decrypt or to get the files off the DVD to the hard drive. But, for some reason, when I conniver the file using Iwisoft DVD converter, one or more of the vob tracks end up with either the audio unsynced to the video, or with an alternate language. The first scene seems to always be right. It's the other tracks that come out messed up. Any ideas why one or the other?

GeeWillikers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Movie studios are trying new copy protection schemes all the time. So the decription software has to be kept current. DVDFAB is updated almost weekly to keep up with the changes, but it works with all new DVD's (and bluray). It is not free, but has a one month free trial period. Also, it is fully customizable: subtitles, languages, resolution, bitrate. But it also has a standard preset for iPad. I don't know how long other programs take to turn a DVD into an iPad ready MP4, but DVDFAB takes about as long as the movie actually is.

On my machine DVDFab runs a two hour movie down to iPad format in about 30 minutes...

clickerman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just finish backing up Shutter Island with DVDfab. DVDfab just yesterday released a version that could handle this DVD. I wonder if Handbreak or other programs can backup Shutter Island also. If so, I would really be impressed.

Jessicaem

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MacTheRipper 4.0 > handbrake 0.9.4 > sync to ipad

There are better options than handbrake, but you need to know what you are doing with video encoding. Handbrake is more than fine.
Stay away from popcorn, toast, ripit, visual hub, isquint, ect. It is all crapware.

Most reactions

Latest posts