What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dust

Kki21

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This may be a silly question but can you get dust under the glass?

I have got some marks under the screen and I don't know where they ave come from.

I have had a plastic screen protector on my iPad and rarely take it out of the house so it never goes in a bag to get scratched or chipped.

I'v tried washing and cleaning the screen but they wont go away.

I'v taken a picture but it isn't the best.

The white dots are the marks on the iPad

Could anyone tell me what they are?

Attachments

• 20150703_130409.jpg
    20150703_130409.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 316

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm not sure this is dust. Problems with the display wouldn't show up in a screenshot. White dots showing up in the camera app would more than likely be a problem with the camera lens itself. Have you looked closely at the camera lens?

OP
K

Kki21

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not sure this is dust. Problems with the display wouldn't show up in a screenshot. White dots showing up in the camera app would more than likely be a problem with the camera lens itself. Have you looked closely at the camera lens?

Hi thanks for the reply

I took the picture with a brand new phone I have just got and other pictures don't show the same dots. Also when I move the camera around the dots also move so it's definitely an issue with my Ipad.

Iv taken a screen shot and viewed it on a different device and the picture was fine.

I'm quite stumped.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
All the spots appear to be perfectly round and it looks like there may be dozens of them, at varying brightness levels. Foreign material under the glass wouldn't look like that.
How old is your iPad? Has the warranty expired?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm guessing that the spots look round in the photo because the iPad's screen is not in focus. The camera is focused on the reflection, leaving the spots on the screen itself blurry.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You mentioned you use a screen protector. I'm sure you've done this, but it has to be asked. Have you tried taking the screen protector off and cleaning the screen?

OP
K

Kki21

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks All for the replies.

My iPad is only around a year old and I'm unsure of the warranty period. Is it generally the same or does it differ. I purchased it from an Apple Store so I should image they will be all the same?

Reading through similar threads I came across one which described it as lint which is a better way to describe the issue.

I have also removed the screen protector and cleaned the screen and applied another one which hasn't resolved the situation.

Thanks

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Your warrantee should be good for one year after purchase, unless you purchased AppleCare with the iPad, in which case it's good for two years.

In a few countries the warrantee is for two years even without AppleCare, mandated by the consumer laws of that country. I mention it because you don't have a location listed.

You can check the status of your warrantee coverage here: https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I guess I'm still a little bit confused about the issue

Agreed. The photo attached to the OP does not seem to follow with the written explanation. The only thing that makes sense is that the picture is taken from the iPad (the device in the picture is not an iPad), which would make the rounded white dots out of focus dust on the camera lens, not anything on the screen as a screenshot won't show up dust or marks on the glass or LCD.

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Agreed. The photo attached to the OP does not seem to follow with the written explanation. The only thing that makes sense is that the picture is taken from the iPad (the device in the picture is not an iPad), which would make the rounded white dots out of focus dust on the camera lens, not anything on the screen as a screenshot won't show up dust or marks on the glass or LCD.
It seems you got exactly what I got from this thread.. thank you for that. This whole thread is confusing at best.

@Kki21 please answer the following questions without going into much explanation. I am attempting to eliminate confusion:
1. Which device shows these dots? Please do not mention any other device.
2. Are these dots visible in every app on that device? Or just in the camera app and the photos taken on that device?

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score

The photo was taken with a phone. It looks like an Android device. What you are seeing is the phone that is taking a picture reflected from the iPad's dark (off?) screen. Because the phone is in focus (not the iPad), the dust is blurry and looks like little round spots.

Taking a picture of a dark iPad screen without including the frame is a lot like trying to take a picture of a mirror. Unless you've got some edges for context, you're essentially taking a picture of what the mirror is reflecting, with some blurry spots if the mirror is dirty.

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The photo was taken with a phone. It looks like an Android device. What you are seeing is the phone that is taking a picture reflected from the iPad's dark (off?) screen. Because the phone is in focus (not the iPad), the dust is blurry and looks like little round spots.

Taking a picture of a dark iPad screen without including the frame is a lot like trying to take a picture of a mirror. Unless you've got some edges for context, you're essentially taking a picture of what the mirror is reflecting, with some blurry spots if the mirror is dirty.
Now that makes sense, I believe it was the reflection that contributed to the confusion.

Could this be an example of dead pixels on the iPad?

Most reactions