What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dropbox and viewing videos???????

Northern2010

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Evening all,

I was wondering if anyone can help me in my pursuit which has been long and arduous..... I am new to this world having just opted for an iPad over a nexus 10 and I am unfamiliar with how the device works fully.....!!!!!!!!

I am currently struggling with Dropbox and viewing videos which have been shared with me, I can work Dropbox fine on my laptop (windows based) but struggle to watch or view them via my iPad........

Recently I received a video and this was shown as syncd/downloaded on my iPad via Dropbox app...... I clicked on the video and nothing happened, all I saw was black screen with the loading icon rotating on the screen no video playing. After much cursing I opted to sync it to my laptop and watched it there instead.....

All I am after is a fool proof way of watching videos via Dropbox and if possible a way of transferring them from Dropbox to my iPad.......?????? The video format is mp4

Thanks again your patience is appreciated....

northern

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Evening all,

I was wondering if anyone can help me in my pursuit which has been long and arduous..... I am new to this world having just opted for an iPad over a nexus 10 and I am unfamiliar with how the device works fully.....!!!!!!!!

I am currently struggling with Dropbox and viewing videos which have been shared with me, I can work Dropbox fine on my laptop (windows based) but struggle to watch or view them via my iPad........

Recently I received a video and this was shown as syncd/downloaded on my iPad via Dropbox app...... I clicked on the video and nothing happened, all I saw was black screen with the loading icon rotating on the screen no video playing. After much cursing I opted to sync it to my laptop and watched it there instead.....

All I am after is a fool proof way of watching videos via Dropbox and if possible a way of transferring them from Dropbox to my iPad.......?????? The video format is mp4

Thanks again your patience is appreciated....

northern

Hi and welcome to iPF!

mp4 should be working fine with Dropbox. It just needs some time to start with a video.

To transfer videos to your iPad, mark them as Favorite.

image-3740191270.jpg
Then, go to your favorites, tap the video you'd like to transfer. Next step: tap the arrow that's pointing down, to reveal this:

image-1589082551.jpg

Choose "Open in..."
Depending on the apps you've installed on your iPad, you'll see a variety of apps that will work with your video.

image-3328125169.jpg

In this case I chose Skydrive. This was what happened next:

image-1171701276.jpg

Now I was able to upload the video to this app.

Last edited:
OP
N

Northern2010

iPF Noob
Reaction score
J.A

Thanks the reply, I just hope that I can get Dropbox to work, it's been a niggle ever since I bought the ipad and downloaded Dropbox..... I will give your suggestion a whirl and hopefully it will work. I will come back to you soon and let you know if I have resolved the issue

I forgot to mention that the videos are 2 gig files, I guess they will need a little time to load as you have mentioned.

Cheers again

northern

Last edited:

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
J.A

Thanks the reply, I just hope that I can get Dropbox to work, it's been a niggle ever since I bought the ipad and downloaded Dropbox..... I will give your suggestion a whirl and hopefully it will work. I will come back to you soon and let you know if I have resolved the issue

I forgot to mention that the videos are 2 gig files, I guess they will need a little time to load as you have mentioned.

Cheers again

northern

With 2 GB the videos will need quite some time to start. The one I'm showing in my post only had ~ 4.5 MB, and needed a few seconds to begin.

OP
N

Northern2010

iPF Noob
Reaction score
J.A

Worked perfectly, done what you recommended and hey presto videos running smoothly without any issues........

Cheers again for our comments and expertise

Northern

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
J.A

Worked perfectly, done what you recommended and hey presto videos running smoothly without any issues........

Cheers again for our comments and expertise

Northern

I'm glad I could help you!

Last edited:
OP
N

Northern2010

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Evening all,

I thought I had cracked the Dropbox working on iPad saga, but low and behold another low ball to set the cat amongst the pigeons.......!!!!!!

I am now struggling with downloading a video file after tagging it as a favourite, I click on the file to initiate the download and the file begins to download.... After some considerable time the file only downloads 30/40% then a orange exclamation mark appears and then file goes back to zero and attempts to download again.....

This process has gone on for the last 2 days with out any joy....

The file size is 1.9 gb......

Any ideas people

Thanks again

northern

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm just guessing right now, because it was working so far:

Try to find out if there's still some space available in the app where you want to download this video.
If there's still enough available, go to Settings - General - Usage on your iPad. In Storage you'll see what's already used, and the available amount of storage. Perhaps there's the reason for your problem.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts