What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Downloading large files on 3G

Shanghaimike

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, Can anybody please tell me how I can force my iPad1 to download large files on 3G. It keeps telling me to get on wifi or use iTunes on a computer. That is just not practical. I do realise Apple wants to save me money (ha!), but I want to make that choice for myself!
Appreciate all & any advice thank you!

Andyvalver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If it's anything like the iPhone and mobile tariffs then you can't download a file larger than 20mb

sent from iPad

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Since you have an iPad1 you might like to look into jailbreaking and install an application like "3G Unrestrictor".
I use this all the time as it "fools" applications into believing they are using WiFi rather than 3G, even when you are not connected to wifi. There are a very few apps it does not work with, but I am able to, for example, download large podcasts which are normally not allowed over 3G as well as Apps from the App Store that are too large normally.

It's one of my favourite reasons for jailbreaking!

Check out the hacking section and read the stickies if you want more information - iPad Hacking - Apple iPad Forum

Hope that helps.

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Also depends if you're attempting to download large files via email...it depends on the attachment size limit for your particular ISP. For instance I have comcast which has a limit of 12mb per email.

Most reactions

Latest posts