What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does your iPad 3 heat up excessively?

katt5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes. Since I got it out of the box, dl and install from iCloud made it work the hardest so that was the worst. Off and on it heats up, then cools on it's own. Never had this problem with ipad2, just with iPad HD.

Reaction score
Mine got very hot the first time I charged it. Even felt the heat through the cover. After that....no problem. It's now on its second charge and isn't even warm. Played x-plane-9 for 10 minutes but it only got very slightly warm.....and that was touching it directly.

grouchomarx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mine got very hot the first time I charged it. Even felt the heat through the cover. After that....no problem. It's now on its second charge and isn't even warm. Played x-plane-9 for 10 minutes but it only got very slightly warm.....and that was touching it directly.

I second this finding. I only felt the heat on the first day and never again afterward.

vaszeit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No problems here

Been running 32GB Wifi version since Friday afternoon, heavy use over the weekend, several recharges, did not notice any overheating problems.

toothonius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My first new ipad had really bad heating in the lower left after 20minutes. Then I noticed the top half of the screen a horrible shade of yellow. Got it replaced and new screen is fine and I dont find the ipad heating up at all. I notice a slight difference in temperature but that's all i can claim.

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Never noticed this, and I had it on 5 hours straight after first getting it.
Though I have not and don't run screen at more than 70% brightness and do not use it while it is charging.
Also I only have a 64GB Wifi model, was wondering if this was a 4G model issue?

L

Lunar

I have the iPad3 64gb/4g model, and no issues with over heating either, this story appears to have been leaked or picked up by a couple of newspapers today in the UK including the Daily Mail, with the headline 'Burning Apples' which is typical over dramatising and stupid reporting by this paper. However, it did prompt me to slide mine out of it's folio case, just for peace of mind, and feel the rear of the case, I'm pleased to say, mine feels totally cold to the touch all over the back case, it doesn't even feel warm.

Temperature in my room is 23c and the iPad has been on for over 3 hours now, mainly streaming live TV, while I'm at my PC, and it's also in a full folio case. Maybe some users are in quite warm rooms or where ambient temperature is fairly high and likely have the brightness up quite high, or simply just have faulty units, though TBH I suppose it would be reasonable to expect the iPad 3 to be a touch warmer than the prevous iPads..but I'm not seeing it here, mine's not even getting warm.

Brightness setting is just under 50% with auto brightness enabled, it looks just right 'brightness wise', and AIS it's actually running quite cool, infact the case feels cold to my hand, wife also said she couldn't feel any warm spots either.. so these incidents of overheating being reported is certainly not common to all of them.

Perhaps if one did turn the brightness to maximum, it may get warmer.. no idea not tried it.. why would I, as it would be extremely bright and likely unwatchable.

Thankfully all seems good so far, no light bleed at all, no bad pixels, good white balance, and definately no overheating... but better not tempt fate ;-) as it's most unusual indeed for me to get a 'good one' of anything I buy...lol

Last edited by a moderator:

tazzclass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mine is definitely heating up in the lower bottom corner. I wouldn't call it hot but I would call it fairly warm. I'm using the 64 GB wi-Fi only model. I'm going turn the brightness down to see if that does anything.

b88

iPF Noob
Reaction score
64GB WiFi 4G model. Set brightness at 90% and browsed internet plus playing game. Lower left corner warmer than right side but not uncomfortable by any means. Feels normal to me. Compared to my laptops this is a freezer.

Most reactions

Latest posts