What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does Updating your iPad 2 mess up Jailbreaking?

Sketchie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yesterday afternoon I decided to try jailbreaking my iPad 2. I followed the instructions through various YouTube videos I was able to jailbreak it just fine. I managed to customize (GridLock, Bigify+, Masks, etc) it just fine last night as well - and I was really proud with what I made.

However, this morning I noticed that a couple of app icons were missing, and because of that they made the folders blank. When I move them out of the folders, all the icons show up, but when I move them back all of them disappears. I thought this was probably just a visual bug, so I rebooted my iPad 2.

Suddenly it's all messed up. The passcode is now just in the corner of the screen, and... well, simply put it's all messed up. Thankfully I had the foresight to make a back-up of my iPad 2 before I decided to jailbreak it, so I simply went back to my backup (it was a ***** putting all the PDFs back into iBooks, though...).

Absinthe doesn't work anymore when I tried to use it again since it was out of date. I checked the version of my iPad 2, and lo and behold, it's now on version 5.1, which makes Absinthe useless since it only works with 5.0.1 or earlier. All I have to do now is just wait for the updated Absinthe (or a new version entirely) before I can attempt to jailbreak it again. Before I do, however...

My question is... does anyone know what caused the icons to disappear? Is it because that somehow Apple updated the firmware to 5.1 while I was sleeping, or is it a bug due to a Cydia app? I used Bigify+ to make the icons slightly transparent and rotated them slightly and used Masks to give them a gradient look and change the color. I don't think those two apps I mentioned (or the other Cydia apps I used, they were popular and well-known).

If all of this mess is caused by Apple automatically updating the firmware to 5.1, is there a way to prevent that? Such as "Turn off automatic updates" somewhere on the iPad 2?

...or is it something else entirely?

Yes, I do know that if something is updated, something else breaks since it's now out of date such as addons getting outdated for World of Warcraft for example, but I just wanted to make sure.

Thanks for the patience in reading this lengthy post. =)

EDIT: If this is the wrong place to post this, I apologize! Just point me in the right direction and I'll go there.

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Updates offered by Apple are not automatic, they have to be okayed by the user, whether it's on the iPad itself or via the over-the-air update(s) now available with iOS 5.x. They will not happen automatically, nor will they happen within your express permission.

So, unfortunately, when you put your back-up back on your iPad2, you must have restored it at the same time. So, that is how iOS 5.1 got installed.

On a stock iPad, there is no way to turn off the iPad looking for an update, or for having an update pushed to you. However, and again, you do have to consciously accept the update. It will not install itself without your say-so.

So, unfortunately, all you can do now is wait for the jail break community to develop a jailbreak for the iPad2 on iOS 5.1. Hopefully, it won't take too long. Sorry.

Marilyn

OP
S

Sketchie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Updates offered by Apple are not automatic, they have to be okayed by the user, whether it's on the iPad itself or via the over-the-air update(s) now available with iOS 5.x. They will not happen automatically, nor will they happen within your express permission.

So, unfortunately, when you put your back-up back on your iPad2, you must have restored it at the same time. So, that is how iOS 5.1 got installed.

On a stock iPad, there is no way to turn off the iPad looking for an update, or for having an update pushed to you. However, and again, you do have to consciously accept the update. It will not install itself without your say-so.

So, unfortunately, all you can do now is wait for the jail break community to develop a jailbreak for the iPad2 on iOS 5.1. Hopefully, it won't take too long. Sorry.

Marilyn

Ahh, I see. That would probably explain it. I guess all I can do is just wait for the next jailbreaking app, which I was actually kind of expecting to happen anyway.

Thank you for the help regardless. =)

Most reactions

Latest posts