What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad update/jailbreak question

dodgersrgood

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm new here and i have the first iPad(since Christmas). I wanna update to 4.3.3 and jailbreak. When I update to the new os version and iTunes makes the backup does it backup app data? Like when I restore the backup will all my angry birds levels stay and stuff like that?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, that's exactly the reason to backup in iTunes.
Since you are not currently jailbroken iTunes should offer you the choice to either upgrade or restore the firmware.
Upgrade, does as you might expect, and applies over the top of your current setup. This has been known to cause users a few issues if you are upgrading between major iOS version - e.g. 3.x to 4.x. In that scenario I would not recommend it.

The restore option will put a factory fresh copy of the latest firmware on you iPad, 4.3.3 in this case. Then, when it is complete and connected back to iTunes for the first time, it will ask you if you want to either set up the iPad as new, or restore from a previous backup. You must restore from a previous backup to get your settings back, including Angry Birds scores! When that restore is completed though, you MUST allow the iPad to reboot (without disconnecting it from iTunes) and then sync all your apps back on. Otherwise none of your Apps, including Angry Birds, will actually be installed.

So, in summary it sounds to me like you should be doing.

1. Sync in iTunes to take a current backup.
2. Restore the iPad to 4.3.3 (automatic since it is the latest version)
3. When connected to iTunes for the first time after restore, choose "restore from a previous backup"
4. Let the iPad reboot and fully sync so that all your Apps and Settings are restored.
5 Jailbreak - I suggest you follow the redsn0w tutorial which is a sticky in this section.

Hope that helps.

Reaction score
dodgersrgood,

Considering you received the iPad in december, it should have already shipped with iOS 4.2.x, so upgrading to iOS 4.3.3 can be done by connecting the iPad with iTunes and than selecting Update. Personally, I would not bother with a restore, as it can take a long time to do so. While it does have it's uses, using it to update between minor iOS updates is imo not one of them.

However, if your iPad is actually running iOS 3.x, than it would be advisable to follow f4780y's instructions.
You can easily find the installed iOS version, by going to Settings->General->About->Version.

OP
D

dodgersrgood

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Since you are not currently jailbroken iTunes should offer you the choice to either upgrade or restore the firmware.
Upgrade, does as you might expect, and applies over the top of your current setup. This has been known to cause users a few issues if you are upgrading between major iOS version - e.g. 3.x to 4.x. In that scenario I would not recommend it.

The restore option will put a factory fresh copy of the latest firmware on you iPad, 4.3.3 in this case. Then, when it is complete and connected back to iTunes for the first time, it will ask you if you want to either set up the iPad as new, or restore from a previous backup. You must restore from a previous backup to get your settings back, including Angry Birds scores! When that restore is completed though, you MUST allow the iPad to reboot (without disconnecting it from iTunes) and then sync all your apps back on. Otherwise none of your Apps, including Angry Birds, will actually be installed.

3. When connected to iTunes for the first time after restore, choose "restore from a previous backup"
4. Let the iPad reboot and fully sync so that all your Apps and Settings are restored.
5 Jailbreak - I suggest you follow the redsn0w tutorial which is a sticky in this section.

Hope that helps.

So the update will just put the newest os version on while the restore will do that plus all the app data?

edit: ohh wait no.. i get it now

Last edited:

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, it's a very confusing double use of the word "restore" by Apple.

When you restore a firmware it wipes the iPad clean.

When you restore a backup it puts your settings back on an iPad.

You need to think about which one you are doing to understand what will happen!
I really wish they had used a word like reset for the firmware, but there you go!
Glad you understood in the end.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:
Are those two options excluded?

I would bet Young One is using the iPad in school :D

Yes. :) I use it for notes and stuff. And, Marie, I was waiting for class to start. :)

glen4cindy

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Hope that helps.

Hello,

It is not my wish to hijack this thread, however, this is exactly what I want to deal with, so, instead of asking basically the same thing, I just want to clarify. I currently have 4.3.1, jailbroken on my iPad 1. I have spent a great deal of time creating many folders, and grouping my icons into those folders, and onto specific pages exactly how I want them. I prefer not to have to "write" it down and duplicate it, but, I still want to upgrade and jailbreak again.

What is the best route? Should I do the complete step by step thing above as f4780y relates, or simply upgrade and jailbreak as detailed by another?

I am interested in the cleanest, best upgrade path, and the one least likely to cause problems and issues. I care not that one way may take a little while longer than the other.

Thanks in advance.

Most reactions