What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does the iPad print?

ayerbusiness

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I do not know whether the iPad can print or not because base on what I have heard, the iPad has no capability to print files so you have to transfer files to other devices.. Is it true?

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There are many AirPrint capable printers now so finding one is not a problem.

Another solution is HPs ePrint service. You can email documents to your ePrint enabled printer using this service. The advantage with this service is that it can be done remotely.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have also used printer pro app for both my iPad and my iPhone. It is able to print by communicating with my macbook connected to my printer. So somehow, printer pro searches for my Mac and sends the signal to my Mac to print. Works great. :)

SunsNut

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Am I correct in thinking that the app also has to support printing. I have an AirPrint Canon inkjet printer and I was using one of the browsers that I have and wanted to print out a recipe - Nope. Just went out to never, never land. I had to go the website via my desktop computer to actually be able to print.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
For direct printing from an app, that app must support AirPrint. If it does, there will be little doubt about it. You will find Print as an option in one of the menus, and you will be able to select and print to your printer.

Of course, just because the app supports AirPrint doesn't mean it will do a good job. That varies.

For apps that do not support AirPrint, you usually use the Open In option to send the file to another app, like Printer Pro, and then use that app to print.

Yarrenbool

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you don't have an AirPrint enabled printer there is another solution that works very well.

On a Windows machine install a program called "FingerPrint" which will allow you to print to any printer(s) attached to that Windows machine or any network printer that the Windows machine can access.

It has been a long time since I installed FingerPrint so can't recall how much it cost. I'm also not sure if there's a Mac version of it but there is at least one other similar program that is available in Win and Mac versions.

FingerPrint works very well for me and I can recommend it.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
FingerPrint is no longer available for new customers. It has been replaced by Presto, a subscription service with it's own set of plusses and minuses. For a similar solution to Fingerprint for Windows, take a look at OPrint.

I have no personal experience with OPrint, just a few online reviews. I keep hoping that someone from the forum who has already tried it will give us a review.

If you own a Mac, then Printopia is the solution most like FingerPrint.

Most reactions

Latest posts