What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you leave your iPad on while charging it?

Do you leave your iPad on while charging it?

• Always (or almost always)

Votes: 220 59.8%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 91 24.7%
  • Rarely

Votes: 33 9.0%
  • Never

Votes: 24 6.5%

• Total voters

supermarshbm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It shuts off automatically

I leave my iPad on while charging, however, it shuts down automatically after a few minutes anyhow.:)

supermarshbm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yptcn said:
There is one thing I don't understand ....
I usualy turn off my iPad at night but when I plug it in to charge the battery it turns itself back on without my doing anything ! Is that normal ? I can't see anyone reporting this 

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Just saw a couple who have the same thing....so I guess I'm not alone 

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Double post , sorry !

Yes, believe that's normal. Minds does that also.

Reaction score
I only charge when it's at 20 % when charged I unplug... The battery last longer when it's not overchared

55julie55

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I turn mine off out of habit and then charge.
But as someone rightly said it switches off anyway.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I only charge when it's at 20 % when charged I unplug... The battery last longer when it's not overchared
Actually consistently running down lithium-based batteries, such as in the iPad, will shorten their life, not lengthen.

It's best to top if off when possible. But it is also good to use it regularly too. So if you don't use your iPad on battery power too often it is recommended to go through at least one charge cycle per month. Note that charge cycle does not have to be done at one time: if you charge it when at 80% then doing that 5 times would count as only one charging cycle.

Finally, there is no such thing as overcharging these batteries. The charging system is very well matched to the battery and will not overcharge it. If it did we would have iPads burning up left and right as overcharging lion/lipo batteries can be risky and dangerous. It quick-charges to about 80% then trickle-charges to 100%.

Michael

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's not true anymore with today's Li-Ion batteries, there's no longer a memory effect. ;)

Actually consistently running down lithium-based batteries, such as in the iPad, will shorten their life, not lengthen.

It's best to top if off when possible. But it is also good to use it regularly too. So if you don't use your iPad on battery power too often it is recommended to go through at least one charge cycle per month. Note that charge cycle does not have to be done at one time: if you charge it when at 80% then doing that 5 times would count as only one charging cycle.

Finally, there is no such thing as overcharging these batteries. The charging system is very well matched to the battery and will not overcharge it. If it did we would have iPads burning up left and right as overcharging lion/lipo batteries can be risky and dangerous. It quick-charges to about 80% then trickle-charges to 100%.

Michael

Thank You, guys! There are too many folks here that have been told incorrect information re this.:mad:

Irish Rose

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes I do. I hardly ever turn it off.

I never turn mine off either, except on the few occasions when the battery just goes down to 1% and it powers down on me. I plug it in immediately when this happens and count every second until it comes back up again.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes I do. I hardly ever turn it off.

I never turn mine off either, except on the few occasions when the battery just goes down to 1% and it powers down on me. I plug it in immediately when this happens and count every second until it comes back up again.

Me too!! We are very much alike, woman! Except mine powers off at 2%.

westerbobbie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah thats boring me why i have to pay a longer cable for the ipad? With the standard cable i have to leave the ipad. Now i bought a longer cable its not normal guys from apple do ita in the box when i buy the ipad.

SaberOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is this a trick question? Of course I'll use it when its charging if I want or need to.~:D~

GoPackGo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I didn't know you COULD turn it off while charging, because when mine's turned off and I plug it into the wall, it turns back on. :confused: But I turn my iPad off multiple times a day when I'm not using it to stretch my battery life to 3 or 4 days, so I just leave it on (but in airplane mode, because I assume it charges faster that way; my Android phone does) when I charge it.

Most reactions

Latest posts