What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you leave Splashtop running all the time?

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have it on always. I leave my computer on all the time..that way I can always log in.

I actually leave my iPad on splashtop all day while at work with a BT keyboard...its basically like having a MacPad.....god I hope that comes out soon!!

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So you take your iPad to work and access your desktop from home? Am I understanding that? I thought we could only use Splashtop at home?

I am confused and I have the headache from hell so please don't be an ass.:D

LOL! I am so kidding! Couldn't resist.;)

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So you take your iPad to work and access your desktop from home? Am I understanding that? I thought we could only use Splashtop at home?

I am confused and I have the headache from hell so please don't be an ass.:D

LOL! I am so kidding! Couldn't resist.;)

Yes I use splashtop all day from work.

I have a 3Mb/sec upload rate at home and 20Mb/sec download at work...it is really fast. Like fast enough that I've been playing Tales of Monkey Island lately on my iPad on my desktop at work when I'm done!

To use it outside of your local network you have to forward ports 6783-6785 on your router then go into Splastop and add a new connection, type in your home IP address (an easy way to get it is to log in to gmail, its at the bottom of the page....if you aren't home and need it you can leave it logged in at home and go to the check connections tab and find it in there) It will log in just like at home. If your connections are fast enough it will be like you are at home :)

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I have a 3Mb/sec upload rate at home and 20Mb/sec download at work...it is really fast. Like fast enough that I've been playing Tales of Monkey Island lately on my iPad on my desktop at work when I'm done!

Man, that must be REALLY nice. I think my RoadRunner upload rate is capped at 512K, and that is for the full service not the "Lite" version.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Man, that must be REALLY nice. I think my RoadRunner upload rate is capped at 512K, and that is for the full service not the "Lite" version.

mine used to be that low...but I check every month and they FINALLY updated it ot 3Mb and its great!! I can run splashtop so fast its insane....there is 0 lag and fast enough to play games with no lag. I watch movies and web videos...it really is the closest to having a touchscreen mac as you can currently get.

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score

To use it outside of your local network you have to forward ports 6783-6785 on your router then go into Splastop and add a new connection, type in your home IP address (an easy way to get it is to log in to gmail, its at the bottom of the page....if you aren't home and need it you can leave it logged in at home and go to the check connections tab and find it in there) It will log in just like at home. If your connections are fast enough it will be like you are at home :)

Thanks! I will have to get someone to help me with doing this. I can't wait!

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Is this not a good idea?

Nah, you're supposed to. I leave it up all the time and my home pc on (without the monitor) so I can access it while away. I use it to fetch work files, stream video, whatever. Quite handy.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is this not a good idea?

Nah, you're supposed to. I leave it up all the time and my home pc on (without the monitor) so I can access it while away. I use it to fetch work files, stream video, whatever. Quite handy.

I wish they would add a curtain tho...like Apples screen sharing manager. So the monitor can be on.

J.D

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.HaxorNoob.com
I have been using Splashtop for a while also, I haven't used it while at College or anything yet though but I should be able to do it no problem as my Desktop is always on and connected to Splashtop and AirVideo.

Most reactions

Latest posts