What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you consider your iPad a machine?

TheX

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I was listening to a podcast, and they were comparing the iPad and the Surface... The guy started referring to the iPad as being the "better machine". While I understand it is a machine for all intents and purposes, but I never really considered it to be a machine.... It just struck me as odd, as I consider my computer a machine, but my iPad is so much more then a machine... it is my friend... I miss it when it isn't in my hands...

What do you guys think? Is your iPad more then a machine to you? Or am I just crazy and need to get a life?

Totallylagit

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Does it have mechanical moving parts? A standard computers only 'moving' part is the heads of the hard drive. To me neither are machines. A car is a machine. A forklift is a machine

OP
TheX

TheX

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Does it have mechanical moving parts? A standard computers only 'moving' part is the heads of the hard drive. To me neither are machines. A car is a machine. A forklift is a machine

According to wikipedia "A machine is a powered tool consisting of one or more parts that is constructed to achieve a particular goal. Machines are usually powered by mechanical, chemical, thermal or electrical means, and are frequently motorized. Historically, a powered tool also required moving parts to classify as a machine; however, the advent of electronics technology has led to the development of powered tools without moving parts that are considered machines.[SUP]"

[/SUP]
[SUP]Everyone knows wikipedia doesn't lie....[/SUP]

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score

You left off the Case/PSU/CPU/GPU fans, spindle motor and bearings of the hard drives, the DVD/CD drive, on top of the same moving parts as the HDs, has a insertion and ejection tray based system and the speakers. Probably missed a few items but those are the biggies.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Can't we love machines too?

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Can't we love machines too?

Howard Wolowitz on Big Bang Theory tried that in Season 4 - Episode 1 - The Robotic Manipulation. Search youtube for "The Big Bang Theory / Howard Wolowitz - Robotic Hand" to see the relevant scenes. And yes it is very sophomoric humor. :D

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, it's a machine to me. Gadgets are nice to have, but there's always something newer and better that's going to come along, and I expect to replace them all sooner or later. I consider them replaceable tools. The idea of considering one a friend makes me laugh. If I dropped one, I'd go to the store and get a new one in a snap. (An iPad, not a friend, lol.)

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mine will cease to be considered a machine when it passes the Turing test.

The funny thing about the Turing test is it gives a human response as a standard, but humans come in all abilities. There are some machines that have already passed some humans, lol.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Since an iPad does not have heart and lungs, than I consider that a machine! ;)

Totallylagit

iPF Novice
Reaction score
According to wikipedia "A machine is a powered tool consisting of one or more parts that is constructed to achieve a particular goal. Machines are usually powered by mechanical, chemical, thermal or electrical means, and are frequently motorized. Historically, a powered tool also required moving parts to classify as a machine; however, the advent of electronics technology has led to the development of powered tools without moving parts that are considered machines.[SUP]"

[/SUP]
[SUP]Everyone knows wikipedia doesn't lie....[/SUP]

I guess that's why you can edit the info on it. Either way, I don't consider an iPad to be a machine. That's a personal opinion

Most reactions