What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do I need to Unlock?

gusz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm planning to buy (in the US) an iPad model 64GB with WiFi and 3G. I live part time in the US and part time in Mexico, and I would like to have 3G data service in both countries. I know the primary 3G provider for the iPad in the US is AT&T and the primary 3G provider in Mexico is TelCel.

I have read that the "stock" iPad 3G is "unlocked", but I'm unclear if this means only that the AT&T 3G service is optional, or if stock the iPad 3G can use any 3G service, like TelCel in Mexico. Do I need to do further unlocking to use the iPad 3G in both countries?

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
The iPad comes factory unlocked so it will work with any GSM carrier. This doesnt mean it will work with any 3G service though. The ipad only uses 4 different radio frequency's and the 3G provider must be using one of those 4 frequency's. An example would be that the iPad works on t-mobile network in the US, but only on edge not 3G because t-mobile uses an odd frequency for 3G that no one else uses. But I think that is the only company that doesnt use the 4 standard frequencies so you should be fine. Your only problem will be getting your hands on a micro simcard for your local carrier.

For example the US ipad comes with a micro simcard from ATT, yet the local ATT stores dont even carry micro simcards. I'm sure you could and up having the company mail you one but they may not be easily obtainable.

Call up the local carrier where you live and ask them if they have micro simcards in there local stores, if not ask them if it would be possable to get one sent to you via mail.

If all else fails, fear not. You can get a regular sized simcard and just trim off the extra plastic with a scissors or something. Trim off the plastic to make it fit without cutting the metal chip and your good to go. I cut mine with a dremel tool and it works great.

Last edited:

T-Bone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Use MyWi on your iPhone and get WiFi on iPad

If you have a unlocked iPhone you can use MyWi, it uses your 3G data plan on your phone and turns it into a WiFi Hot Spot....so the idea is you can use your normal WiFi iPad and pick up your iPhone as a hotspot.

T-Bone

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
If you have a unlocked iPhone you can use MyWi, it uses your 3G data plan on your phone and turns it into a WiFi Hot Spot....so the idea is you can use your normal WiFi iPad and pick up your iPhone as a hotspot.

T-Bone

Just need to jailbreak, dont have to unlock the phone.

Cpthook26

iPF Noob
Reaction score

T-Bone

I'm so surprised that this is the first thread where Wireless tethering was mentioned. ISP crooks like AT&T, Sprint and Verizon should offer this feature for free since it already exists on our phones. If you are intuitive and have time to do research on how to root your Droid or iPhone, you can save yourself some scratch by purchasing the WiFi version instead of the 3G. Lol.... Keep in mind that the 4g iPad will be released inna bout 6-8mo..

....regards

T-Bone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jailbreak

right sorry jailbreak! To jailbreak you can use "Spirit" (works with any iTunes earlier than 9.2)

T-Bone

Just need to jailbreak, dont have to unlock the phone.

Most reactions

Latest posts