What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your views on jailbreaking for a semi-newbie ipad2

therealriley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello, first post and it's because I have the iPad 2 5.0.1 only got it January can't believe there's an iPad 3 out already. But still I have the 32gb 3G and wifi model. Everyone I know with an iPhone is saying jailbreak, I used to have the iPod touch then iPhone 3G both jailbroken but when that broken I've missed out on the whole scene. I've tried reading loads of guides just to find out if it's actually worth it.

If I wanted to do it can anyone tell me what is the hottest jailbreak software currently for the ipad2 without unlocking the 3G network I've looked but there's too many videos and false links everywhere.
In your view is it worth it?
Can anyone explain a bit clearer what shsh blobs are and what this means when jailbreaking again too many confusing websites out there on this.
I understand quite a bit but the scene has changed and I'm not sure of any good sites which will update me on such news for the iPad 2.
Cheers

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Archangel has given you two excellent resources to start with.

I'm just posting to tell you that I'm going to move this thread to the Hacking section. That way, other "jail breakers" might be able to see your post and then maybe offer some additional advice.

One piece of advice I'll give you right now: There is a jail break available for the iPad2 running iOS version 5.0.1, which is the version you say you have. Until or unless you make a decision about whether or not to jail break, DO NOT upgrade your iPad to iOS version 5.1. Because, once (or if) you upgrade, you will not be able to jail break even if you wanted to. There is no jail break for the iPad2 at that newest version.

Just wanted to get that caution out there...cause you will be bugged by both iTunes and your iPad to upgrade. You don't want to do it unless you decide jail breaking isn't for you.

Marilyn

OP
therealriley

therealriley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for your advice guys, I will check the links now.
Sorry also a newbie to the forum and using the app I could not see a jailbreak section. I will look closer next time.
Thanks again and any more advice or views are all welcome.

OP
therealriley

therealriley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've read a few guides on here now all very useful so with blobs I'm assuming that I have 5.0.1 now but have never saved any blobs yet, so does that mean if I jailbreak it now I should be cautious because I can't restore it if needed to regardless of information on it, due to apple stop sending the 'keys'? now 5.1 is out?

I've read and re read a great post by fa78oy on shsh blobs, but don't understand the ongoing effects. I kinda get it now. :)
Aslong as I save my blobs I can revert back to that firmware, after updating. But if say I jb 5.0.1 and something happens to cause a restore can I keep it at 5.0.1 forever just keep installing that same custom firmware even if 5.1 or later releases are out.
I had a habit before on my iPod and iPhone 3G on keeping on same firmware until the devs found a new jb for the next version that was my update day not when iTunes actually release theirs.
I don't quite understand the apple firmware time window though why is this important.
Thank you for reading this.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
First off, therealriley, do NOT bump threads, please. Our rules require you wait 48 hours before you "bump" a thread. This is an active thread and I am sure someone would have gotten back to you today. All you are doing with this bump is annoying people ...

Now, your question:

I've read a few guides on here now all very useful so with blobs I'm assuming that I have 5.0.1 now but have never saved any blobs yet, so does that mean if I jailbreak it now I should be cautious because I can't restore it if needed to regardless of information on it, due to apple stop sending the 'keys'? now 5.1 is out?

Exactly. If you "mess up" the jail break of iOS 5.0.1 on your iPad2 to the point where you have to restore, you will lose the jail break because you will have to go to the most current firmware signed by Apple, which is 5.1 right now (and not jail breakable on the iPad2).

I've read and re read a great post by fa78oy on shsh blobs, but don't understand the ongoing effects. I kinda get it now. :)
Aslong as I save my blobs I can revert back to that firmware, after updating. But if say I jb 5.0.1 and something happens to cause a restore can I keep it at 5.0.1 forever just keep installing that same custom firmware even if 5.1 or later releases are out.
I had a habit before on my iPod and iPhone 3G on keeping on same firmware until the devs found a new jb for the next version that was my update day not when iTunes actually release theirs.
I don't quite understand the apple firmware time window though why is this important.
Thank you for reading this.

No, you have missed an important change with SHSH blobs due to changes in iOS 5 firmware. Apple changed the way SHSH blobs worked with iOS 5. The main effect was to make SHSH blobs for the iPad2 essentially worthless right now. Yes, we still encourage people to save them (cause we can always hope a way can be found to use them), but, for an iPad2 owner, having blobs is a useless thing.

If something happens to your jail break on iOS 5.0.1 and you have to restore - you WILL have to restore to the most current iOS, regardless of any blobs saved. There is NO going back for an iPad2 owner, regardless of blobs saved.

So, the key point is: If you jail break an iPad2 on iOS 5.0.1 - be VERY careful with it. Because if you mess it up, your jail break is gone and you will have to wait and hope that the jail break community develops a jail break for the new iOS.

Hope that clarifies.

Marilyn

OP
therealriley

therealriley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you Marilyn for your help that clears it all up for more now thanks, and lesson learned with the bump thingy.

Most reactions

Latest posts