What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do I need dock?

Ellie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have case coming today. Is there any reason why I will need dock with case? I assume you will be able to charge from case.

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have case coming today. Is there any reason why I will need dock with case? I assume you will be able to charge from case.

But the case is not valid in vertical, can't charge and not sure will be stable ....

JohnnyApple

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't have a Dock and don't plan to get one anytime soon.

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score

You can charge and dock with the power cable/usb cable that came with your iPad. You wont be able to dock your iPad into the dock with the case

hope that helps.

wot_fan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ellie, no you don't need a dock. It is really just a convenience. I use them (ordered 3) because I don't like messing with cables. When I need to charge or sync my iPad, I can easily set it in the dock one handed (taking it out unfortunately takes two hands). Also when I use my bluetooth keyboard, the dock acts as a stand.

Being able to see the screen and use the iPad as a digital picture frame while docked is an added plus. The dock also makes it easier to connect to your stereo since the audio cable can remain connected to the dock so you don't have to plug it in every time.

Greg G

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How stable is the iPad in the dock? I want to put one on my night table but I am afraid it will be too easy to knock over when I reach for my glasses or something. From the picture it looks quite small compared to the size of the iPad.

-Greg

Last edited:

brhon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I want to be able to dock my Ipad with a cover on it. It would be nice to have a cover I can just leave on and mess around with changing for every time I want to dock or leave the house. The Apple cover is good for around the house but it does not work with my new Incase Travel kit.

dks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I ordered the dock... but now I got to thinking that I don't really 'need' a dock... but the comment about the stereo hookups is a good point so maybe I will keep it.

I really do wish there was a case that, like the apple case, allows for several viewing/typing angles & folds flat... but also has a cover with a secured closure & one that will fit on the charging dock without having to be removed... would be really nice.

Edlex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I ordered the dock simply for convenience either when I'm working on my desktop and/or syncing the ipad. Mostly to use it as a digital frame during family parties during the holidays. I was told by zagg that their new case will come in leather so I'll definitely get that one for the times I'm going to be mobile.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All that is needed for a dock is to go to any store that handles plate stands or picture frame stands and find one that works for you. It will be a lot cheaper than a factory made stand and you might find one that has better stability. It likely will only charge in the portrait position, but you can get one that will hold the iPad and case together.

I don't know of any iPad stand I would trust on my night table. The chaotic hand motion when I go to hit the snooze button, would destroy almost any electronics.

Laren

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Got both the dock and case today, the dock only works in portrait mode which is not what I expected. Which I had not wasted the money for it. The case is okay and provide good protection, you can plug in the connector and all switches are available without removing it from the case.

iSoozin60

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought the dock - it's very small but it weighs 5.3 oz so it's very sturdy with the iPad on it - and it has a nonslip bottom. I'd rather have my iPad in the dock than laying flat on the table alongside me, where I have too many toys. At least in the dock it takes up less space and I won't accidentally sit something on top of it!!!

Susan

DavidNM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just received my small dock in the mail. Although I don't have my 3G yet my iPod touch does fit in there as well. I think it will be convenient to be able to just plug in and sync / charge without moving cables around. Will have to see what everyone else comes out with. The apple dock is very small and looks sturdy - I'm not sure I want a dock that is the size of a small brick - with a million ports, etc.

Ghuda

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I ordered the dock and they will deliver this Thursday. After using the onboard keypad, I honestly don't know how much i will use the dock for typing.

I am getting very comfortable with the onboard and like the relationship to the screen.

We will see how the dock performs when it arrives. It might end up just being a nice stand for charging.

DavidNM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I ordered the dock and they will deliver this Thursday. After using the onboard keypad, I honestly don't know how much i will use the dock for typing.

I am getting very comfortable with the onboard and like the relationship to the screen.

We will see how the dock performs when it arrives. It might end up just being a nice stand for charging.

Really - do you have your iPad tilted up at the far end? Is it uncomfortable staring at the screen while typing?

Most reactions

Latest posts