What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do hexadecimal directories under /private/var/mobile/Applications/ change on updates?

Commodore

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I wanted to make it easier for me to copy files between apps and my laptop, so I created some bookmarks in my WinSCP to access some of the /private/var/mobile/Applications/#####/Documents folders directly (i.e. without having to check where they are each time I need them). However, I've noticed that half of the bookmarks are invalid now. Does this mean that the hexadecimal part (the /#####/ part here) also changes whenever you update an app (it's the only explanation I can come up with at this point))?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The numerical part of the path is a UUID which forms part of the IOS sandbox protection. The UUID is generated on the device when the app is installed, and this number is not static. So you cannot rely on a bookmark not changing if a change is made to the app itself. An app which is re-installed will never have the same UUID portion as the previous install on the same device.

Most reactions

Latest posts