What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Disappointed with the discrimination by apple.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It better to let google develop google maps on ios than to continue using the apple version of google maps. It was woefully behind. Apple wasn't committed to it, so better get that app. In the end, we will have better versions of maps ( from apple and google) and YouTube. This is a good thing. Try to think long term, and it won't even be that long given this the the super fast paced tech industry.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing that Sci! It reminds me of my keypad on my old phone (driod2).

Yes, the new keypad looks old-school and unappealing to me. I read about iPhone 5, but couldn't get excited about it. I have 4S, which is a good phone, and Samsung Galaxy Note, which I find even better. I'm tempted by the new Note, but have no need for it.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One of the first things I did when I bought myfirst iPad was to find map alternatives to the native app. While it has its place, for me, Google Maps was useless. I rarely used it, and never could get street view to work on the iPad. Besides the animosity between Apple and Google, there was a lot of capabilities that Google Maps had, that was only available on Android. Apple had no real choice but to drop GM, but I do hope they get the bugs out soon, like they normally do.

If you thought Google maps useless to begin with, you're hardly going to be missing it. Meanwhile, there are plenty of other users who have been relying on Google's map features, who think otherwise. If Apple took away a feature that you count on, and gave you an often unusable one in its place, you'd probably not be happy about that, either.

What it boils down to: People don't want their devices to lose any functionality that they rely on. No company, even Apple, can make that palatable despite a reality distortion field.

Last edited:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
we can remove the apple maps app from the device if we find we don't like it.

Unless you're able to downgrade firmware during a narrow window before Apple slams it closed, how do you remove a native Apple app?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
Unless you're able to downgrade firmware during a narrow window before Apple slams it closed, how do you remove a native Apple app?

All you can do is hide it in your c*** folder so you don't have to look at it. You can't remove it from your device unless you were able to downgrade it to iOS 5.1.1.

Last edited:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All you can do is hide it in your c*** folder so you don't have to look at it. Yu can't remove it from your device unless you were able to downgrade it to iOS 5.1.1.

That's my understanding, too.

Redhotpoker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
KevinJS said:
Canada should get it early. Drive 700 kilometers. Turn left. Drive another 300 kilometers. You've arrived at your destination.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

You all that are missing Google Maps, can create your own maps here.
http://www.viewranger.com/en-gb/

Hi Kevin,
Wise guy eh? hahaha, too funny.
Oh yeah! It's a huge, natural resources rich, well developed country with a low population.
Siri says: Ah like 33.9 million people. 3.7 people/km squared.
We like it just fine up here.
Don't be envious ok, it's only a free range kind of existence in "hinterland". Smile

So very roomy. You can actually stretch out.

New York likely has more folks than Canada.
LA and surrounding communities are right up there too.

I love to roam for hours without seeing anyone about my location. Such a vast nation.
Makes for great bowhunting as well.
No one stumbling around in the dark, while I'm already in my tree stand.
(I'll be surfing from my new iPad 3, or reading comics, I have a tiny led built into the brim of my camo cap)

Chas

Last edited:

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Redhotpoker said:
You all that are missing Google Maps, can create your own maps here.
http://www.viewranger.com/en-gb/

Hi Kevin,
Wise guy eh? hahaha, too funny.
Oh yeah! It's a huge, natural resources rich, well developed country with a low population.
Siri says: Ah like 33.9 million people. 3.7 people/km squared.
We like it just fine up here.
Don't be envious ok, it's only a free range kind of existence in "hinterland". Smile
Chas

Wise guy? No, well, maybe. Canadian trucker, actually.

And I don't live far from you.

Dennykrane

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One of the first things I did when I bought myfirst iPad was to find map alternatives to the native app. While it has its place, for me, Google Maps was useless. I rarely used it, and never could get street view to work on the iPad. Besides the animosity between Apple and Google, there was a lot of capabilities that Google Maps had, that was only available on Android. Apple had no real choice but to drop GM, but I do hope they get the bugs out soon, like they normally do.
Hello Seadog
One thing I've noticed through all threads is an inconsistency in people's dealings with apps, I used Street view all the time on iPad2, and it worked very well.
I'm planning a holiday and it was good to walk round areas to get a feel of things. I really miss that app, not perfect but really useful.
My son had an Acer tablet, and his street view was even better on Android
The new app doesn't help because most of the areas I am going, seem to have very blurred satellite images...very poor

OP
A

A.K

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well I haven't upgraded my ipad2 to iOS 6 .but from the various reviews even if apple provided some features I wanted ,it wouldn't do any good coz the map seems to be a disaster atleast for now.
But I may upgrade soon as I got a new app which is Navfree gps for India which offers full offline maps for the country with voice guided navigation. Decent enough maps and offline with voice guided for free!!!and the web apps for Nokia and google seems usable alternatives .
Well frankly as a reply to some posts I never mentioned I required turn by turn voice guidance ...I just said I was disappointed coz even basic direction queries were not there which makes the map just a toy.im satisfied with a basic map with direction queries lol.anything else is a bonus.
Well I might upgrade if the new app is upto the task but till then ios 5

Most reactions

Latest posts