What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Disappointed New Apple Fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am sorry that you had .the misfortune to drop the iPad. The iPod unlike other devices is a sealed device and so if dropped one can cause damage to other components as they are in a very tight space however in saying that being a solid state device and no moving parts like hard drives and DVD drives the damage usually is less. The fact is it is not economical to replace the glass and not knowing if nothing else is damage and this is why Apple replaces the iPad complete.

I should point out laptops are in fact a bigger issue when dropped or handled the wrong way. Picking up a laptop by the screen can in fact break or damage it. Replacing a laptop screen is real expensive usually $100 or more just for a quote plus screen etc etc.

Apple has in some countries have replaced iPads no questions asked but what one must realize is they really don't have to as dropping the iPad is nothing to do with warranty issues. My suggestion is make sure one has coverage under home insurance policies and or a all risk policy then you have peace of mind because most likely the insurance company will just replace it with a new one.

I remember seeing lots of curved PCMCIA Modems. First prize goes to anyone that can post what would cause curved modems. Smiley.

Fortunately, I have never damaged a device by dropping it. And I drink, too.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Like anything in commerce, you are depending on customer service. It could be that there is a limit of how many times they will let a store give free replacements, or the store manager, or the person you talked to. You can only try, and live with the results. It also shows how a good screen cover can make life less stressful.

ghett0tech

iPF Noob
Reaction score
it was never a 'policy' to replace people's iOS device for a 1 time courtesy. now that AppleCare+ was released no apple store will give a break, which in reality is the right thing to do. you break, you pay for replacement.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
now that AppleCare+ was released no apple store will give a break,

Not true. Apple stores replace as a one time courtesy all the time. I have personally known folks and there have been plenty here. Obviously, there have been a few Apple stores that do not extend this courtesy.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AppleCare+ also includes accidents that are not covered under warranty. Essentially it is insurance for those who cannot feel comfortable about their ability to not break their iDevice. If you are a klutz, it may be money well spent.

ghett0tech

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not true. Apple stores replace as a one time courtesy all the time. I have personally known folks and there have been plenty here. Obviously, there have been a few Apple stores that do not extend this courtesy.
i'm sorry you are completely wrong. being a genius myself we never had a 'courtesy' replace. if we felt the need for a situation to be graced then fine, it was never policy. now with AppleCare+ no exceptions. which like i said before is how it should have been all along.

ghett0tech

iPF Noob
Reaction score
people always got the preception that they could come in for a 'one time' grace swap. quite annoying.. people just got misinformed

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i'm sorry you are completely wrong. being a genius myself we never had a 'courtesy' replace. if we felt the need for a situation to be graced then fine, it was never policy. now with AppleCare+ no exceptions. which like i said before is how it should have been all along.

Never said it was a policy. :)

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Seadog said:
AppleCare+ also includes accidents that are not covered under warranty. Essentially it is insurance for those who cannot feel comfortable about their ability to not break their iDevice. If you are a klutz, it may be money well spent.

Well, things can happen even if you aren't "klutzy". I'm sure plenty of iPads have taken falls and the owner of the device really didn't do anything to perpetrate it. Just saying.

GoPackGo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for explaining. :)

iPad 2 is cool

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey. I dropped my iPad 2 and only caused 2 superficial dents to the metal. It in no way affected the functionality of the device but I could not take my eyes off those minor imperfections. I went into the Apple store, was friendly, polite and dignified. I had no expectations, I asked how much a repair would cost, the Genius simply said they would give me a courtesy replacement and did. Great customer service from my perspective.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Great news for you, especially when others are now leaving disappointed. Would you mind saying what store you went to. It might make it easier for other members to know which stores will still do a courtesy replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts