What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Did You Have Problems with iOS 4.2 Update?

Did You Have Problems with the iOS 4.2 Update?

• Total voters
OP
NumbLock

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
From my post on another thread:

I have now tried to download 4.2 3x. It appears to be downloading fine all the way to the end....551.4MB worth of download and then I get this error message:

"The software for the Ipad was corrupted during download. Disconnect & reconnect and then try again.blah blah blah."

I try again and get the same message. What'sup with this & more important what do I do about it?

Thanks.
CM

Several members recommended disabling firewall and antivirus during the update. Some of them are much too aggressive.

CMFox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
On try #4 it finally worked....6pmish west coast time. I guess enough people went to dinner or bed, that I could finally get in.

Once downloaded it hung-up on the syncing. I had to turn things off, unplug, from my mac, replug into electricity (tho I had 98% battery charge) and replug into my Mac & itunes, so it could finally finish steps 1-5. Shish.

Not a piece of cake, but doable...even by a limited knowledge techie like myself.

And as a Mac owner, indeed I have no virus protection.

Thanks all for the hand holding....now I get to play.

CM

harbinur

iPF Noob
Reaction score
screen lock key

hi all,
the screen lock key of ipad does not function after 4.2.1 update.
its new job is making ipad silent.
do you have any idea for that ? i can not lock screen on portrait or landscape.

Melaman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Screen lock button

hi all,

This function is now part of the multiple-tasking bar on the bottom of your screen which comes up when you double-click your 'home' button.:p
I personally wish Apple had left this function on the side button too, as the silence switch really was not needed given we can turn volume to zero anyway!:(

Last edited:

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The upgrade went fine, but none of my music or movies got synched. iTunes and video apps indicate the sync failed. But the iTunes side of things didn't report an error.

RoadPilot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Look around the apple forum..there are many many other people experiencing the same thing.

Apple - Support - Discussions - 4.2.1 stops and freezes my iPad it wont ...

5 pages worth now.
Let's see: Estimates ranges from as low as 3 million to as high as 6 million iPads sold so far, and you consider 5 pages on a forum as "many, many" people experiencing problems. Hmmm. Doesn't add up.

Heck, 84% of respondents to the poll in THIS thread report little or no problems.

Just a simple mathematical observation.

Boco

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Very strange problem with screen lock and volume after update

I updated to 4.2 today, and now my screen lock doesn't lock the screen, instead I get an icon showing a slash though the speaker (volume) icon. When I try to lock the screen by flipping the switch on the side of the iPad, instead of locking the screen like it used to, it either unlocks or locks the sound! When I flip the switch, an icon showing the speaker with either a slash or no slash through it shows up. I've tried re-setting the iPad to no avail. :confused:

OK, it seems this is a change on purpose and not a bug. I don't like it very much at all. I prefer using the switch for screen orientation, not double clicking the home button and hunting for the screen lock icon... want them to change this back to the way it was or give us the option.

Last edited:

Saintj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is it just ME? I swear my wifi performance is down a good 20-30% after doing the latest OS upgrade. At first I thought it was perhaps my wifi setup at home but no. Same holds true at the office and at friends houses. Not a happy camper here.

Melaman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I updated to 4.2 today, and now my screen lock doesn't lock the screen, instead I get an icon showing a slash though the speaker (volume) icon. When I try to lock the screen by flipping the switch on the side of the iPad, instead of locking the screen like it used to, it either unlocks or locks the sound! When I flip the switch, an icon showing the speaker with either a slash or no slash through it shows up. I've tried re-setting the iPad to no avail. :confused:

OK, it seems this is a change on purpose and not a bug. I don't like it very much at all. I prefer using the switch for screen orientation, not double clicking the home button and hunting for the screen lock icon... want them to change this back to the way it was or give us the option.

Does anyone even bother to read previous posts?!?!:eek:

harbinur

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi all,

This function is now part of the multiple-tasking bar on the bottom of your screen which comes up when you double-click your 'home' button.:p
I personally wish Apple had left this function on the side button too, as the silence switch really was not needed given we can turn volume to zero anyway!:(

Ok thane for this nice information.
I did not know it.

hawkeye

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OS 4.2.1 Hmmmmmm

Is it just my iPad or have others found this has happened also?

I have a 32Gb wifi and 3g model and after updating to os 4.2.1 my screen lock button no longer works:eek: but brings up a MUTE icon on the screen, I do not get the screen lock icon on the top of the screen either and moving the the volume control takes it straight out of Mute. The screen will still rotate without me be being able to stop it. Has Apple changed these options :confused:

cheers

harbinur

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is it just my iPad or have others found this has happened also?

I have a 32Gb wifi and 3g model and after updating to os 4.2.1 my screen lock button no longer works:eek: but brings up a MUTE icon on the screen, I do not get the screen lock icon on the top of the screen either and moving the the volume control takes it straight out of Mute. The screen will still rotate without me be being able to stop it. Has Apple changed these options :confused:

cheers

Let you please take a look on the far left side of multitasking bar.
There is screen lock button.

Lavenderlady*w*iPad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My update went just fine. I read the forum before doing it and was nervous after reading other's problems. But all went smoothly! Whew! I don't have all that many apps but the folders are really great and consolidate everything to 2 screens!

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just a simple mathematical observation.

I think the word you meant is "simplistic." It would be more logical to look at the percentage of forum particpants experiencing problems and extrapolating from there to the general population. Using your own guess of 6 million iPads and the forum having 67% report no issues, we're looking at almost 2 million users experiencing problems with the upgrade - a pretty significant amount of people.

I'm especially surprised because Apple exerts such rigid controls over their devices - with Windows you can blame all sorts of modifications, but an iPad that hasn't been jailbroken has nothing on it Apple didn't approve - no rogue software, no hardware changes, no viruses.

Most reactions

Latest posts