What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Did You Have Problems with iOS 4.2 Update?

Did You Have Problems with the iOS 4.2 Update?

• Total voters

hbeing

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Lengthy update

2:45 Thought it was stuck, went through 90% on the progress bar and just stopped for the remaining 2 hr and 40 minutes, then was done.

Holmes Alex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
last Thursday i updated from 3.1.3 to 4.1, and my iPhone 3G got an error on iTunes and it wont turn back on. Great! -_-

chiffchaff

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I installed in early evening the day it came out. Did a backup/sync then downloaded the new iOS and installed. Everything went by the book, done in less than 20 minutes. I used a MacBook and a never-jail-broken 64GB iPad with about 12 GB free, for what it's worth. Oh, and updated my iPhone as well, no problems, probably took ten minutes for that.

Boxstars

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How do you get 4.2 to work

I downloaded with no problems, but I can not see any difference. What am I
I missing.
Thanks
I am new to this site

hookbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I downloaded with no problems, but I can not see any difference. What am I
I missing.
Thanks
I am new to this site

Welcome to the Forum. The main things are multitasking and making folders, for example I took my games and put them all in one folder To do this simplyy move an icon over another icon. The OS will create the folder and name it.

Multitasking is kind of hard to describe, I watched a video to see how it worked. Basically you push the enter button twice and you will see your apps in a carousell on the bottom. As you scroll through them you will see a new "control center" (volume, pause, play etc.) and you will notice that the screen rotation is now in this area. The switch on the side of the iPad next to volume is now a mute switch.

Check it out. If I didn't describe it to you correctly just google 4.2.1 ipad video for a demo.

iPadMomma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Happy for you...

Weird. I went home last night, plugged my iPad into my laptop and did a sync (still with 3.2.2) to get a current backup and make sure everything was up to date. After that, I did the upgrade to 4.2.1 and everything took about 20-25 minutes to run (download and install and reboot of the iPad) when it finally came back up as 4.2.1.

I had never jailbroken my iPad (and don't plan on it - I have yet to need to do something I can't with iOS) so I have a feeling that was part of the success.

Mine isn't jailbroken and I had issues not with the installation but with the running of it.

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mine was jailbroken on 3.2.2. I updated to 4.2.1 with noproblems. As usual, inalways hate backing upnfirst cuz it takes sooo long. I found out that when it updates, it doesnt really delete the jailbroken stuff or misc items in system. It only makes them not accessible. Time to jailbrake so i can get ifiles to make sure. Memory unaccounted for n i think its all those games n emulators that i had b4 i updated. I have 15gb free out of 32gb. I think i should have more left. I do have 107 apps though. ;-). N they all transfered after update without me physically redownloading. Now thats nice..lol

boudewein

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The upgrade went smooth but i always run TinyUmbrella before i upgrade to be able to downgrade when things go wrong.

Kenworth

iPF Novice
Reaction score
When I bougth the IPAD a few weeks ago, I had the people at the Apple store here in Cherry Hill, NJ load 4.2 for me....Ken

Most reactions

Latest posts