What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Problem with cover switch following screen change.

SwanseaMick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had my screen replaced following a ding that cracked the screen. (Not by Apple though).

Since the change, the keyboard/cover switch no longer works!

Other symptoms include:
1. When keyboard/cover lock is active, power/sleep switch doesn't put ipad to sleep, I.e. It is deactivated.

2. When turning on, following the display of Apple logo, the screen goes blank, rather than going to 'swipe to open' screen. I have to tap home button to get to 'swipe to open' screen.

Any suggestions as to what the problem(s) might be?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The magnet sensors cables, or the sensors themselves are probably broken/disconnected/out-of-alignment.

If the repair is under warrantee (by the repair shop, not Apple) then take it back and have them fix it.

Or turn off the feature and get used to pressing the Home Button to wake your iPad.

It is also, barely, possible it's a glitch in settings. In which case try going to Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings. This will not delete any of your content, apps, or accounts; but most other setting will have to be re-tweaked.

Once you've done that, make sure you have the cover on and open close it a couple times. The iPad needs to detect the cover before you will see the Lock / Unlock setting show up in Settings > General.

Or maybe you should look there first. I was typing away before it occurred to me that maybe it got turned off by accident.

OP
S

SwanseaMick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had already assumed the switch was out of action, but was trying to get a grip on the other symptoms.
For example, if switch was permanently in closed state, would this explain symptoms?

I had already decided to live with it, as it is no big deal, but thanks for your reply.

NB after the reset, the on/off setting is visible, so assume switch must be in closed state, else as you say, this setting would not be visible!

Most reactions