What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Deleting Emails

Nael

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an ipad4,iPad Pro and an iMac.My ipad4 is rarely used but I want to keep it active, without receiving emails into my ipad4 inboxes.I use my iPad Pro and iMac for everyday use.The number of inbox emails on my ipad4 are growing and growing which I don’t refer to!...Can I remove/delete my email accounts on my ipad4 without affecting the emails on my other devices?...I don’t want to loose all my emails or FaceTime and iMessages on my iPad Pro or iMac.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There’s no problem with deleting an email account from your iPad, if it’s an online account, such as Gmail, Outlook, iCloud...

With iOS 10 installed, removing the account should work this way:
Go to Settings - Mail - Accounts. Select the email account and delete it.

Instead of deleting it, you can also turn off Mail (Settings - Mail - Accounts - the account), so that you can use the account for messages, e.g., without receiving emails.

OP
N

Nael

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There’s no problem with deleting an email account from your iPad, if it’s an online account, such as Gmail, Outlook, iCloud...

With iOS 10 installed, removing the account should work this way:
Go to Settings - Mail - Accounts. Select the email account and delete it.

Instead of deleting it, you can also turn off Mail (Settings - Mail - Accounts - the account), so that you can use the account for messages, e.g., without receiving emails.

Thank you,....you list gmail etc as an online account, presumably this would apply to an ISP POP account also?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you,....you list gmail etc as an online account, presumably this would apply to an ISP POP account also?
No, not really. Gmail, Outlook and iCloud are IMAP/Exchange accounts, and they store emails on a server - online. That‘s why the emails sync without problems. You can read or delete them on one device, and this syncs to other devices where the same email address is set up.

POP accounts are different. Originally, they were created to work on one device only. This often results in problems when they are set up on more than one device.

Here‘s an explanation from Microsoft that shows the differences:
What are IMAP and POP?

OP
N

Nael

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No, not really. Gmail, Outlook and iCloud are IMAP/Exchange accounts, and they store emails on a server - online. That‘s why the emails sync without problems. You can read or delete them on one device, and this syncs to other devices where the same email address is set up.

POP accounts are different. Originally, they were created to work on one device only. This often results in problems when they are set up on more than one device.

Here‘s an explanation from Microsoft that shows the differences:
What are IMAP and POP?

Thank you...appreciated!

Most reactions

Latest posts