What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Autofill help needed

RichardGaspa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can anyone please help me? I am new to using an IPad. I just purchased a new IPad4 and I am having a few problems. Every time I type the word "GMAIL" my email address is automatically imputed. I remember filling out something somewhere and imputing gmail on one like and my email address on the next line but don't remember where. Now every time I use the word gmail my email in typed and lots of times it not what I want. Any know how to delete this word so it dose not happen?

Any help would be appreciated.

Rick Gaspa
Las Vegas

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It sounds as if you have made a keyboard shortcut for your Gmail address. To verify or check this, go to the General tab in your Settings app. On the right side, scroll until you come to the line titled "Keyboard" and tap it. Another tab will open and at the bottom of that page will be yet another line titled "Shortcuts." Press that line and you will then see if you have indeed made a shortcut.

If you have (the word Gmail is on the left of the line, in bold, while your address is on the right), it's a simple matter to either delete it or edit it to have a different shortcut phrase. To delete it, swipe on the line and a red DELETE button will appear; just press it to remove it.

Or, you can tap that line and a tab will open so you can edit the shortcut or phrase. I, personally use "gm" as my shortcut for my Gmail address. It's short enough to remember, but its not common enough that I keep accidentally activating it.

Does that help? If yes, yay. If not, holler back and we'll take another shot at it.

Marilyn

OP
RichardGaspa

RichardGaspa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It sounds as if you have made a keyboard shortcut for your Gmail address. To verify or check this, go to the General tab in your Settings app. On the right side, scroll until you come to the line titled "Keyboard" and tap it. Another tab will open and at the bottom of that page will be yet another line titled "Shortcuts." Press that line and you will then see if you have indeed made a shortcut.

If you have (the word Gmail is on the left of the line, in bold, while your address is on the right), it's a simple matter to either delete it or edit it to have a different shortcut phrase. To delete it, swipe on the line and a red DELETE button will appear; just press it to remove it.

Or, you can tap that line and a tab will open so you can edit the shortcut or phrase. I, personally use "gm" as my shortcut for my Gmail address. It's short enough to remember, but its not common enough that I keep accidentally activating it.

Does that help? If yes, yay. If not, holler back and we'll take another shot at it.

Marilyn

BINGO, - You hit it right on the head. I just checked it out and thats where the problem was coming from. I just fixed it. Thank you so much for your help.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yay! Glad to hear that things got sorted for you. And, thanks for coming back and telling us your problem got resolved. Always nice to hear back - especially the success stories. :)

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts