What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dangers of Resetting iPad?

stooney

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am sure this is a total n00b question, but I've never done this before.

My iPad2 is acting up on me lately, especially the Appstore gives me weird messages. Also it fells like sometimes it does not respond as quickly as it used to be on keystrokes.
I thought I might try to factory-reset it and see if that helps.

But what exactly will I lose by doing so?
I will backup everything in iTunes first, but what about data stored in Apps (like Evernote, Next!, Notes) and progress in games (like Tiny Tower most of all, but others as well) ??

I am not using any iOS cloud services, so everything not saved in iTunes will probably be lost?

Thanks for any help!

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
A factory reset is somewhat draconian w/o giving some simpler non-destructive steps a try. First if there is an app(s) which is not responding correctly, open the multi-taskbar (double tap the home button or use multi-finger guesturing); press and hold an app - all will start jiggling; press the minus sign in those apps which are misbehaving.

If the above fails to correct your problems, then 'Restart' or if not effective 'Reset' the iPad - directions HERE - if none of these maneuvers help, then take a look at THIS DISCUSSION about 'Resetting to factory settings' - good luck and please post back your solution(s) - may help others! :)

OP
S

stooney

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried all kinds of "soft resets" before, also holding the home-button and power-button etc. None of that did help, thats why I was thinking of a more drastic measure.
I also could hold out just a bit until the iPad 3 becomes available, but who knows how long I will have to wait for mine again.

Some of the strange things happening:
The Appstore keeps freezing up to a point where no tap is doing anything anymore. Killing the process and restarting it always helps. Still its annoying. As far as I can remember this started happening only with iOs 5.

I frequently lose my WIFI connection, even though the Router is Ok and I am well within its range. No other connected devices are doing this, only the iPad. This also started "around" the iOS 5 update, can't really say if I had this problem before.

Some Apps with IAP (for instance Zen Pinball does it on EVERY start!) ask me for my iTunes password whenever I start the App. I can cancel and then the App runs normally from there. Also I tried entering the password, but also nothing happens (no purchase). I don't think this is a virus or anything, it does not do any evil things other than bugging mel

The most annoying issue: Whenever I load or update anything from the Appstore, I will get a message along the lines of "Error, Action Movie FX and x other items could not be downloaded". The number x increases all the time, currently it is at 29. I actually HAD Action Movie FX once, but never did any IAP and deleted it long since. Again, the loading/updating that I actually want to do works fine, nothing bad happens, its just annoying.

I believe the latter problem might stem from the fact that I have accounts in the German and US Appstore. I downloaded some free stuff from the US-Store, but all purchases are done in the German Store. Something might have gotten mixed up and I think/hope a factory reset might solve this.

I know, I will still have iOS 5 after the reset and not an actual out-of-the-original-box reset, but thats OK.
So which data etc will I actually lose (if any) after resetting and recovering from iTunes?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Some people who have had a lot of trouble after the iOS 5 upgrade have managed to fix their problems by going to Settings > General > Reset; using Reset All Settings and the Set up as New iPad option.

The procedure feels a bit scary, but you do not lose any apps, content, or accounts this way. You'll just need to go through all your other settings and put them back to what you want.

I'd try this before doing a restore.

The other stuff sounds like store mixups. If you bought an app on one store (even if it was free), it (probably) needs to go to the same store for everything, updates, game center, in-app purchases, etc. I'm not sure how to straighten out this kind of mix up, but it probably means a second Game Center ID and constantly switching your iTunes logon. (at the bottom of most tabs in each iStore).

Good luck.

Last edited:

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Some people who have had a lot of trouble after the iOS 5 upgrade have managed to fix their problems by going to Settings > General > Reset; using Reset All Settings and the Set up as New iPad option.

The procedure feels a bit scary, but you do not lose any apps, content, or accounts this way. You'll just need to go through all your other settings and put them back to what you want.

I'd try this before doing a restore.

The other stuff sounds like store mixups. If you bought an app on one store (even if it was free), it (probably) needs to go to the same store for everything, updates, game center, in-app purchases, etc. I'm not sure how to straighten out this kind of mix up, but it probably means a second Game Center ID and constantly switching your iTunes logon. (at the bottom of most tabs in each iStore).

Good luck.
Twerrpopoet-ok that makes sense to me now!! The reset through settings, etc. will bring it back to factory settings...but you are right. We can always re-sync the apps et al. back on via iTunes. If I understand you correctly, I learned something new again.., from you!!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Twerrpopoet-ok that makes sense to me now!! The reset through settings, etc. will bring it back to factory settings...but you are right. We can always re-sync the apps et al. back on via iTunes. If I understand you correctly, I learned something new again.., from you!!

Reset all Settings does not remove any apps, content, or account setups. It only returns your iPad to it's default settings in the Settings app (minus account setups). It is more disruptive than a simple reset, but does not risk your content like a restore or restore from backup does.

Why this helps (sometimes) I don't know. Probably iOS 5 is not 100% compatible with some legacy setting in iOS 4, and flubs the conversion under some conditions.

The only inconvenience I've discovered is that you have to re-tweak just about everything; Notifications, brightness, wallpaper, etc.

Erase All Contents and Settings, that's another matter. That does return you to factory. Don't tap that by mistake.

Last edited:

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
So definitely stay away from "erase all content!"

So when you say it resets setting, it brings you back to day one for each app you have recently purchased?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
So definitely stay away from "erase all content!"

So when you say it resets setting, it brings you back to day one for each app you have recently purchased?

No, it only defaults the iPad's general settings, and some of the global settings for the included apps. It does not appear to do anything to purchased apps.

Erase All Content and Settings does exactly the same as a Restore though iTunes, so avoid it, unless that is what you wanted to do. It's a handy way to sell the iPad, since you can do it just before handing it over to the new owner (letting you demo and use it up to the last minute).

OP
S

stooney

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Thanks for this tip, will try and report back asap

OP
S

stooney

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Alrighty, I'm back and I did what you said just now (it took me a couple of days to get my hands onto the Notebook where I have iTunes installed). Looks like it did not solve any of my problems above though. I did not lose my WiFi connection just yet, but all the other issues are unsolved, the "x" in the strange AppStore message has increased to 32 now, still with "Action Movie FX" at the beginning even though this app is not on my iPad anymore.
I am a bit anxious to totally factory reset it after what you said. So unless there are no other "safe" tips, I might consider leaving things as they are until I switch to iPad3. I am pretty sure that when I sell mine later, a total factory reset combined with new Apple ID and stuff will sort things out for the buyer and we both will be happy.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ok. I've no more ideas. Please let us know how it turns out.

You didn't need your Notebook to do what I suggested. What did you do with it?

OP
S

stooney

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
You didn't need your Notebook to do what I suggested. What did you do with it?

I have the iTunes Software only on my Notebook and I wanted to make a backup before doing any kind of reset, just to be safe.
As you said, I did not lose any Apps or other data, but I just felt better backing up anyway :)

Most reactions

Latest posts