What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Factory Reset?? Can't recall parental password

UtkGrad101

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I need to reset my iPad to factory settings (my kids are getting into things they should not get into). I have NO CLUE what the parental password is (I am the parent and I control the account but I can't remember what number I used). How can I reset my iPad to factory settings and clear EVERYTHING out?

OP
U

UtkGrad101

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't see in iTunes where Recovery Mode is. I tried to hard rest it and held the power button and the middle button down and it acted like it reset, but it just went right back to the current content. I just cannot remember the parental password I put on the thing to keep my kids from downloading things. ARGH!!!

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You put the iPad into recovery mode by pressing and holding Home and Power buttons simultaneously while it’s connected to iTunes, until it shows the recovery mode screen. You’ll see what it looks like in the link I’ve provided above.
If it just returns to it’s current content, you’ll have to try again.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I don't see in iTunes where Recovery Mode is. I tried to hard rest it and held the power button and the middle button down and it acted like it reset, but it just went right back to the current content. I just cannot remember the parental password I put on the thing to keep my kids from downloading things. ARGH!!!

Hi U..Grad... - welcome to the forum - just for clarification, is the 'Passcode' the screen lock/unlock for the iPad or another one used specifically for 'parental controls' - they are best to be different (see quote below and checkout the link)? Also, let us know what iPad model you own and what iOS version is installed - steps can be different. I'm sure w/ this additional information, posts will be more specific in helping. Dave :)

P.S. and I hope that you have a backup to the cloud and/or to your computer, whether through iTunes an/or another app such as iMazing.

Type in a passcode. You'll remember for when you need to disable restrictions again. (This can and should be completely different from your Lock screen passcode.) Make sure you note it down somewhere — if you forget the passcode, you'll have to erase your device and set it up from scratch.(LINK)

Fofer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A friend of mine has the same thing happen. He was able to backup the phone via iTunes, then erased the phone, then he restored from the backup, and the parental control lock was gone. Even more interestingly, no other data was lost.

Yes, this surprised me too. But it worked. YMMV.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
A friend of mine has the same thing happen. He was able to backup the phone via iTunes, then erased the phone, then he restored from the backup, and the parental control lock was gone. Even more interestingly, no other data was lost.

Yes, this surprised me too. But it worked. YMMV.
That’s not what happens when you restore from an iTunes backup.

Most reactions

Latest posts