What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cracked the ipad screen, got a free replacement from the apple store

Status
Not open for further replies.

dilamazly

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Last Sunday my son dropped my ipad2 straight onto the car park..I see the screen had cracked..at conner also damage..so hear I want to know...if I bring my iPad 2 to apple store...can I get a new i pad or their can repair my iPad.

jncbankston

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@dilamazly: you'll have to go see by visiting your friendly neighborhood apple store. It seems as if each store has its differing policy. Happy hunting.

Sent from my White Verizon 32GB iPad using iPF

TTrim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yesterday a small, plastic kid's plate fell out of my cupboard onto my iPad and cracked the corner of the screen. I posted on FB about it and had friends tell me they broke their screens and went to an Apple store and they replaced it. So, today my husband drove over an hour to Cincinnati and was told all they could do was replace it for $250. He was upset because he drove so far, I'm upset because I can't understand such a policy. I called Apple and the representative told me it's at the employee's discretion what he wants to do. I told him I felt that was discriminatory and maybe if I'd have gone in instead of my husband the outcome would have been different. He just said he understands and knows it's a problem and had me talk with his supervisor. I spoke with him and he told me the policy (the legal contract) is to not replace or repair accidental damage, but it is at the employee's discretion on a case by case basis. I asked him how that is not discriminatory and he said that's not the point, the point is their policy is not to replace or repair. He had me email him photos of the damage and said he'd see what he can do. I'm just absolutely flabbergasted that a company like this can have that kind of practice! My husband has always been a die hard PC guy and was THIS CLOSE to converting, but after today he said no way. He was also about to buy like 4 new iPhones for his company, but now is reconsidering. Not because they won't replace mine, but because they will replace one person's and not the next.

DCLympstone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
rjchoops said:
No luck for me either. After taking mine to the back to the back room,
He came back and said it will cost $269 to replace my ipad2. Not a happy camper.

My daughter broke mine yesterday - got a free replacement at Bristol CC today! Well impressed.

TTrim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Has anyone had any luck with some sort of explanation from Apple how they can say yes to one person and no the next? What kind of business policy is that?

johnhyunyoon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bye_apple said:
My Ipad 2 was dropped on the ground accidently a few days ago and its screen was cracked. I went to an apple store for help yesterday and was told to pay $299 for a replacement. It's absolutely ridiculous! Who would pay that much money just for a cracked screen?
I heard some people got a free replacement but I don't believe it's ture. How can Apple treat its customers unequally?
I will never purchase any Apple's products anymore. Bye Apple!

keep trying buddy. it depends on the rep sometimes too...
for example, the graphics card on my macbook pro gave on me. there was a recall on it for purchases within 4 years. my purchase did not fall within the 4 year marker. the rep said "sorry, nothing i can do about it...you're going to have to pay"
i brought it back a week later, got helped by someone else. he said "let me get my manager...everything should be ok"
manager signed off on it, and i got a free repair.
don't give up!!!

jncbankston

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Leave it to us Americans to come up with "discriminatory" just because we didn't get something free that the next person was lucky enough to get.

If you read the other posts on this board, you will see that not every store has the same policy. Some folks just got lucky and iPads replaced. Some where unlucky. Some of the unlucky drove city to city, state to state in search of a store that would accommodate them. Apple reserves the right to replace iPads to each employee on a case by case basis...sounds like "empowerment" to me.

Its not apples responsibility to replace our products if we crack them accidentally or maliciously.
Please refrain from going on this board talking about discrimination...it just comes off as whining, which I know is not what your trying to do.

If one store said no, try the next.
Happy hunting.

Sent from my White Verizon 32GB iPad using iPF

MadChef

iPF Novice
Reaction score
As I read through this thread I see most cracked screens are iPad2 related.. Just to be sure I found 88 threads about cracked screens and I'd say more than 85% are iPad 2 related,was a different glass used for the iPad2, or is it because it's thinner and more prone to damage? We all know about the bleeding issue for many of the first iPad2's is this related to the glass used? One other possibility is it the cove not offering enough protection?

☮ ♥ 

Last edited:

Allyson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys, while at school i was putting my drink into my boyfriends bag when i had my ipad under my arm keeping a firm hold on it, But life seems to hate me and it slipped from my arm, it had a full case on it but it wasn't enough, it hit the corner and cracked the class and chips of the glass is falling out.

I'm scared to tell my rents, they will kill me. (In fear and being so angry at myself i cannot help but cry.)
I don't know how i can get the receipt of my perants without them knowing. Oh and im paying it off as a loan from my rents.

Does anyone live near brisbane and has tried an apple store?

Anyone who can save me please reply! :'(

hardride

iPF Noob
Reaction score
$419.00 for a replacement for a 3 mth old iPad2 for a cracked screen. WTH? I had bought my Mac, iPod for my daughter, and all my program updates @ the Birmingham, Al store. I also purchased my iPad2 from that same store. I will never purchase from this store. I love Apple but this SUCKS. I will order online or buy @ Target.

cmlee2011

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ninaycay said:
Both my appt were with genius technician.. And they both said the same thing.. I did book another one for tomorrow, and that will be the last apple shop here in melbourne.. I'm actually hesitating wether to go or not... Both my past appt had been very disappointing... The first time I came in for my appointment i was 5 min late so they cancelled it.. And was advise to come back another day.. Fair enough cuz it was my fault for being late.. So I came bck d nextday.. Did I mention it was a 45 min drive to get there? Anyways so checked myself in to find out I have to wait for 20 min... As soon as the workers done explaining the costs.. Which only took about 5min... He just told me to think about and just come bck when I decide to go through with the replacement cost, he was literally trying to get rid of me explaining me that he need to attend to
Another customer.. Isn't that the whole idea of booking an appointment??? So they could spend time with you??? Nweys d second appointment was d worst!!! Got there on time---- but they where falling behind with all their appointment so they told me to come back in half hr.. Which I did.. Got bck there but had to wait again, when I finally saw d genius technician, he just told me the same thing.... :( so what do you think guys is it really worth it??!!

If you are talking about Melbourne, FL. The Altamonte Springs store replaced my seriously shattered screen. My cat had knocked it off the counter onto tile floor. I had a case on it but had it open as I was using it and walked away a minute. I just walked in to store and got in line on a busy Fri night. She said this 1 time they would replace it for free.

TTrim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
THe thing is, the official, legal policy is to NEVER replace or repair accidental damage. BUT, each employee is allowed to make a decision on a case by case situation and break that policy. If they give something to most people who walk in, that is setting a precedent and I can tell you they are going to get themselves into some deep trouble with that kind of business practice.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
THe thing is, the official, legal policy is to NEVER replace or repair accidental damage. BUT, each employee is allowed to make a decision on a case by case situation and break that policy. If they give something to most people who walk in, that is setting a precedent and I can tell you they are going to get themselves into some deep trouble with that kind of business practice.

Doubt it. As long as discretion isn't based on race, sex or other categories that are illegal to discriminate based on, it's perfectly legal. That's especially the case if one store vs. another doesn't offer free replacements.

TTrim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also, we're all not lucky enough to live near an Apple store. My husband had to take three hours off work yesterday to drive to Cincinnati. He could take another 3 or 4 and drive to Columbus or 4 to drive to Indianapolis. I'm really thinking we're finished with Apple. The list is getting long for me of why not to do business with them. Having such a junky, easily damaged product is at the top.

TTrim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kaykaykay - But nobody will tell me what the discretion IS based on. Maybe it is based on race, sex or age. I have no idea. If someone could tell me, that would be great. It's not (according to the supervisor I talked to) based on store. It is employee by employee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions