What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cracked the ipad screen, got a free replacement from the apple store

Status
Not open for further replies.

edchau

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys, I am new with this group. I drop my ipad2 today from a table to a soft chair top. About one feet and a half. The smart cover came apart from the ipad and the cover landed first then the ipad landed on top of the cover. Know what happen!?! Screen cracked. Is the metal part on the smart cover knock on the screen.
After I read this forum, I give a try and went to apple store and see they would give me a free replacement. Sorry no luck but they will take my old iPad and give me a new one for half price (CAD$340).
I will try another apple store in the city tomorrow morning and try my luck again.
May be I have to get a shop in town to change the screen for me.
My ipad2 work fine with no problem.
I am in Calgary, Canada. Any shop in town can recommend for me please?
Thank you

scotland66

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Flash_beezy said:
What? The jailbreak does not affect your warranty....nor does it show in their system...a simple restore takes the jailbreak off and you'll be all set.

Btw anyone have luck at the valley fair store in Santa Clara? Recently shattered part of my iPad
digitizer...could repair it myself but a free replacement seems better..

A restore to remove the jailbreak may not be so simple if the iPad is shattered.

ninaycay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
willard said:
@ninaycay; is your ipad jailbroken may I ask? that might be a problem, because they actually key the serial number in to their little device. if it is so, then they prolly detected that it is jailbroken. because when you jailbreak it, the warranty will voided automatically..
@bye-apple; dude, i can prove that it is true. apple replaced my broken ipad2. u just need to talk to a genius technician and explain in a polite manner what happened.

Hi willard , nah my ipad was'nt jailbroken.. It was 4day old when it fell.... Ive contcted apple cs today they gave me a case number nd they book me an appt, ill see how i go im not gonna expect too much tho...it might be another dis appoibtment.. I'll let u know how i go...

edchau

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I am at the Apple store. They are replacing my ipad2 for free!!! APPLE, Thank You Very Much!!! You are No.1 in customer service.

dizzle13

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I broke my screen this morning on ipad 1 and after reading these posts, i scheduled an appointment with a genius at an apple store in Miami. I was told that apple no longer replaces screens for free ever since apple came out with AppleCare Protection Plan, and that I would have to pay the cost of replacing. WTF! Has anyone heard of this before. Thanks in advance.

MoonlitSonata

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Bye_apple said:
My Ipad 2 was dropped on the ground accidently a few days ago and its screen was cracked. I went to an apple store for help yesterday and was told to pay $299 for a replacement. It's absolutely ridiculous! Who would pay that much money just for a cracked screen?
I heard some people got a free replacement but I don't believe it's ture. How can Apple treat its customers unequally?
I will never purchase any Apple's products anymore. Bye Apple!

They replaced mine for free. It DOES happen!

Baby_Bishop

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Same story as most of the others on here. I only joined to share my story, so here gooes.... I get to work and get out the car. When I grabbed my Ipad 2 TOTALLY slipped out of my hand and hit the ground. Of course, a multitude of emotions sprang up within. So, I immediately sat down at my computer and started to look for ANY info I could find. This was the first site a came across. After reading some of the reviews, I called Apple. The rpe told me, given the circumstances, I would probably have to pay a fee as theses instances are not usually covered. Did I mention I only had my Ipad for a little over a month? Anyway, I returned to this site and read more reviews. I then scheduled an appointment with two Apple Stores. The first store, NO LUCK... I was told I could get it replaced for $369, and still keep the broken Ipad... I thought, "Ummmm HELLO, TARD?! It's BROKEN, why would I want this?" So, I politely replied, "wow I don't have that type of money at the moment, is there any other way?" He said, "well it's good anytime so you can always come back... it's better than paying $789." So, of course I left... Went to another store 10 minutes down the road, and long story short, I got my Ipad 2 replaced with a brand new one at the cost of $0. After an extended wait, it only took 10 minutes MAX. I surely did not mind waiting. With that being said, I do know that in the case of the Ipad 2, yes, they will replace it for free. As others have advised, if you get turned down at one store, GO to another. I am in the DC area. The Pentagon City mall store was the first store. The Clarendon store in Arlington was the second store where I got the Ipad replace... October 24, 2011

ninaycay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
edchau said:
Hi guys,
I am at the Apple store. They are replacing my ipad2 for free!!! APPLE, Thank You Very Much!!! You are No.1 in customer service.

Hi.. Hope my luck will be the same as yours... Will be attending my last appointment this aftnoon... That'll be the last apple store here in melbourne.. Wish me luck!

gdjsnyder

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Had to join to tell my tale, albeit it's not really MY tale, just my iPad. Anyway, I dropped my iPad about two weeks ago and dented the bottom left corner, but thank god no glass was broken, so I could live with it. However, the glass at that corner was now exposed and low and behold that corner just happened to my my wooden table top and the whole corner was shattered where the iPad couldn't even be held any longer. I called an Apple advisor and they told me to go to an Apple store to see what could be done. The nearest Apple store is about 2 hours away, but luckily my boyfriend went home this weekend to see his parents and there was an Apple store by him. He walked in, and after waiting 40 minutes past his appointment time the genius looked at the iPad and said "$419 for a replacement, that's all you'll get from me". So he walked about, and I was very disheartened, as I don't have $419 right now, and won't have that extra for the foreseeable future. So he was on his way home today and decided to stop at the Apple store two hours from us. The genius was very nice to him, and told him that it was $419 and my boyfriend said we couldn't pay that right now and the genius said "well I don't expect you to" and he showed my boyfriend his Macbook Air screen and it said $0 due. The Apple store didn't have any in stock, but my boyfriend got a receipt and they will call when a replacement unit comes in (2-3 days) and we have a week to pick it up!

Absolutely amazing service.

ninaycay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
gdjsnyder said:
Had to join to tell my tale, albeit it's not really MY tale, just my iPad. Anyway, I dropped my iPad about two weeks ago and dented the bottom left corner, but thank god no glass was broken, so I could live with it. However, the glass at that corner was now exposed and low and behold that corner just happened to my my wooden table top and the whole corner was shattered where the iPad couldn't even be held any longer. I called an Apple advisor and they told me to go to an Apple store to see what could be done. The nearest Apple store is about 2 hours away, but luckily my boyfriend went home this weekend to see his parents and there was an Apple store by him. He walked in, and after waiting 40 minutes past his appointment time the genius looked at the iPad and said "$419 for a replacement, that's all you'll get from me". So he walked about, and I was very disheartened, as I don't have $419 right now, and won't have that extra for the foreseeable future. So he was on his way home today and decided to stop at the Apple store two hours from us. The genius was very nice to him, and told him that it was $419 and my boyfriend said we couldn't pay that right now and the genius said "well I don't expect you to" and he showed my boyfriend his Macbook Air screen and it said $0 due. The Apple store didn't have any in stock, but my boyfriend got a receipt and they will call when a replacement unit comes in (2-3 days) and we have a week to pick it up!

Absolutely amazing service.

Hi! That's amazing... I really hope ill have the same luck today...

ninaycay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone!!!!! Good news! They replaced my iPad2 free of charge! OMG I was so happy! At first he was like accidentally wasn't covered.. Bla bla bla.. But then he said let me check with one of the manager...but I can't promise you anything...beets they were chatting for like 2min.. Then the guy went bcd to me.. And said "we can help you" "we can replace it for free, since it's still under warranty and pretty brand new, we can do it this one time.. And we don't normally do this." .... Within 30 min everything was processed and got me self a brand new Ipad2 3G... Was really happy... Apple really do give an excellent customer service.. Just need to be patience and polite...apple your the best!!

edchau

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So happy for u! Most of us are really happy with Apple customer service. Keep up the good work Apple.
2 iPhone, 2 iPod, 1 apple tv and 1 iPad at home. What is next? Mac is coming soon!!! No more PC in my house.

willard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone!!!!! Good news! They replaced my iPad2 free of charge! OMG I was so happy! At first he was like accidentally wasn't covered.. Bla bla bla.. But then he said let me check with one of the manager...but I can't promise you anything...beets they were chatting for like 2min.. Then the guy went bcd to me.. And said "we can help you" "we can replace it for free, since it's still under warranty and pretty brand new, we can do it this one time.. And we don't normally do this." .... Within 30 min everything was processed and got me self a brand new Ipad2 3G... Was really happy... Apple really do give an excellent customer service.. Just need to be patience and polite...apple your the best!!
that's awesome ninaycay!!! so happy for you!

willard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So happy for u! Most of us are really happy with Apple customer service. Keep up the good work Apple.
2 iPhone, 2 iPod, 1 apple tv and 1 iPad at home. What is next? Mac is coming soon!!! No more PC in my house.
I heard apple is making its first branded TV.. that'll be the bomb! I can imagine it in my room already! i hope it will look just the same as my imac or the mac cinema.. I'm so apple lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions