What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cracked the ipad screen, got a free replacement from the apple store

Status
Not open for further replies.

arttext

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, it's even worse: There are no Apple stores AT ALL in the Netherlands. Crazy, isn't it? There are rumours about plans to open a flagship store on a very prominent place in Amsterdam , but it is said that the original opening before the holdidays is postponed till spring 2012. Any similarities with the rumours about the iPhone 5 ? Hmmmm.....

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes - that's pretty amazing. I cannot understand why Apple wouldn't have even a single store in your country. I doubt, too, if you'd get the same response from the 'Premium Retailers' there that currently sell Apple products.

Tim

arttext

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh, no way in hell. My earlier post about a rained iPhone is only an example of the ****ty way Apple customers are treated here. Any reseller here apparently is eligable to handle Apple products. Based upon that, many independent service shops repair your idevice for much less than official Apple rates.

johnhyunyoon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@arttext I haven't ever paid for an apple repair yet. However, I do know that any device gets ruined in the rain. You're telling me you've never heard of water damage before? I don't know any phone carrier who would replace your phone if there's water damage. That's just standard.
I'm on my 3rd iPhone 4 now. Screen cracked for one, sleep button stopped working for one. Got both replaced no hassle no nothing. Just "let me get that replaced for you." Now my iPad is the same :) Regardless, who knows, maybe you're just in a bad service area haha but I know my Apple store takes good care of me. I've experienced it first hand over the past 5 years

msk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
bad customer service from apple

Hi Ryan

Which apple store did you go to for the replacement? I have the same situation you had and received really bad customer service in orange county.

Hi everyone,
Yesterday night while returning from the library, I accidentally dropped my ipad2 straight onto the concrete from about 4 feet. And of course, upon inspection, the screen had cracked nearly the entire length of the ipad. Also, the corner was really damaged.

So, this morning I took it to the apple store and explained exactly what happened, and the guy says "no problem, we'll replace it for free this one time". I was extremely surprised this happened, that's pretty amazing CS. So, in a few days I have to go back to the apple store to pick up the ipad.

Does anyone know if apple supplies a brand new replacement ipad2 or is at a refurbished model?

Thanks,
Ryan

msk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
they didnot replace for me :(

i dropped my ipad yesterday and shattred the screen and he told me i have to pay 270 plus tax. i spoke with the guy for an hour but he wouldnt replace it for free. which location did you go to??

Hey I was unfortunate to join the shattered screen club as well. First off, let me say I JUST exchanged the hp touchpad for the 16gb iPad 2 aug 25th. Last week I placed my beautiful tablet on top of my girlfriends car, forgot about it and drove off. A while later I heard it fall from the roof when we were on a big ave. I was able to recover it and was thinking at first purchasing another one at 500 dollars, then I found you could purchase the touchscreen digitizer for 100, in which case I would install it myself. While looking for the digitizer, I came across this forum and reading all the pages of stories about explaining your story and being very truthful and patient and humble, I found out all of you were correct.

I first spoke with the greeter, who after seeing the screen said there MAY be a chance they could replace it. After waiting for 50 min, I spoke briefly with the rep at the genius bar who saw it and I asked what options there were for me. He looked at my model and searched his computer and said a replacement would be 270. I immediately thought of this forum and thought to myself dang I guess I wasn't going to be that lucky. When he asked if that was something I looked like I'd want to get then and there I said it would take time to come up with it. That's when that great customer service kicked in, "you know what because of what happened to tyou we can replace this as a one time courtesy, but just once next time it's 270" I shut up and they made the switch with a reconditioned one that looks just as good as my new one. I was extremely happy and will def recommend everyone to go here because of the wonderful customer service

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sara_bear said:
Still haven't found an answer to my predicament though. :/
Has anyone had an experience with an engraved iPad? I know you can't return them, and I fear they may not replace it for the same reasons.

I have read somewhere that they will take the engraved casing off and put it on a new one. Give it a go, just like everyone else has

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes - this is true. If you return an engraved iPad for exchange they send it back and swap the engraved back onto a new machine.

Tim

djefx29

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cracked my screen early this morning (idiot of me) and set up genius bar appointment (a most, I think that poor guy who came in on the fly is still waiting) for today and walked in, met Tyler and walked out with my free replacement iPad 2. Thank you Tyler at the Modesto, CA Apple Store. Also purchased a wireless keyboard while I was waiting for my replacement. Amazing service. It is a one time deal.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's so good to hear. Thanks for reporting back your experience. Each one of these success stories makes it easier for the next unfortunate person to go get a replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts