What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Could I use new ipad 3 in UK?

caltongirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I will be visting the USA in 3 weeks time and I am considering buying a new ipad 3 as they are considerably cheaper I believe. Could somneone tell me a) would it work in the UK 2) would I be able to use 4G in UK?
Many thanks

• :)

Tudor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You'll be able to use it in the UK ok, but you cannot use 4G, it will just work in 3G mode.

OP
C

caltongirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, do I have to specify which carrier I use. Currently I am with 02 in the UK and ideally would like to use their daily 3G plan as I don't want another pay/month deal. Sorry but I don't really understand 3G/4G etc.

Vertigo1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Forget 4G - even when we get it, the version in the iPad3 won't work as the US uses different frequencies. It'll work fine on 3G over here though.

Can you actually buy a 3G/4G model outright in the US? I thought you had to buy them on contract from a specific carrier? If you can buy one outright then the carrier won't matter as the 3G is "world" compatible and will work anywhere and on any network. Just make sure it's not SIM-locked at all and you'll be fine.

OP
C

caltongirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Many thanks. I really dont know about being able to buy a 3G model outright. Someone told me that if I buy the AT&T carrier it is easy to unlock and then get O2 daily plan but I'm thinking that it might all be a bit beyond me, however the USA price seems a LOT cheaper than in the UK.

tgsh2012

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad 3 bought in the USA will work in the UK. Once 4G is available that will work also providing you purchase the one meant for AT & T and NOT Verizon. The AT & T one is the version shipped out internationally whereas the Verizon one uses different frequencies. The AT & T unit comes with a SIM. However, you remove it and replace with the UK one.

And yes they are considerably cheaper, by about £100!

DRY411S

iPF Noob
Reaction score
While the iPad 3 in the USA is cheaper than UK, it also exceeds the duty-free allowance for goods brought into the UK. If you declare it, or are caught NOT declaring it when returning to UK, then you will liable for Excise Duty of 2.5% + VAT at 20% which brings the cost slightly more expensive. Plus you will need to buy a UK adaptor.

King Hal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DRY411S said:
While the iPad 3 in the USA is cheaper than UK, it also exceeds the duty-free allowance for goods brought into the UK. If you declare it, or are caught NOT declaring it when returning to UK, then you will liable for Excise Duty of 2.5% + VAT at 20% which brings the cost slightly more expensive. Plus you will need to buy a UK adaptor.

Also US prices don't include local sales tax which you will have to pay and then reclaim when you leave. If you don't reclaim it and then have to pay VAT here it's not such a good deal.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Tomo1971

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm just back from the us, 2 weeks in Florida.

Yes, you can buy them over there, the £399 model over here is about 80 to 100 cheaper over there.

If you do buy, get rid of the box there, or maybe buy the uk adaptor before you go and takeit with you, then it looks like you have bought it here.

The IPad is 4g compliant but the uk will be using different frequencies than the us are using..... But 3G will be fine. (I'm a telecoms engineer, I know these things)

Not sure about versions, but ask for the international or GSM model that accepts a SIM card, the Verizon ones work off CDMA and have no SIM.

Walmart sell them, as do best buy, which are the easiest stores to locate while your over there.

Steve

Tomo1971

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh, another point....we can't claim back US sales taxes. I looked into that as well.

If your driving over there, and not got a sat nav, I used nav-free USA. As it suggests it's a free sat nav, works well on a gps enabled iPad. It's a big download, so if your hotel/villa has wifi, you can download it there. You have to get the speech files separately though, they are free.

Steve

DRY411S

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also US prices don't include local sales tax which you will have to pay and then reclaim when you leave. If you don't reclaim it and then have to pay VAT here it's not such a good deal.

Oh, another point....we can't claim back US sales taxes. I looked into that as well.

I believe that only Louisiana State will let you avoid paying the sales tax if you prove you're a foreign national.

I am currently in the USA having bought an iPad 3 from the local Apple store in Georgia. I have activated it using iTunes on my PC as though it was a UK iPad, and it works fine. If I have to pay UK tax I'll have saved pennies, but it seems worth the risk.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
FWIW Montana has no sales tax.

I can't believe I'm saying this cos it's probably as illegal as hell, but if I was pulling this stunt, I would take a receipt from the UK with me "proving" that it was bought in the UK. Just saying'.

Sent from my iPad 4 HD mini

Last edited:

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also Oregon has no sales tax.

... however you also have to consider what happens when you need support. Chances are that you would have to ship it to the US at your cost if there was any warranty issue.. That's why I bought my local - so I can take advantage of the two year Applecare+ warranty. I could have saved $100 buying it in Oregon

Most reactions

Latest posts