What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Connecting my iPad to Apple TV

Mikey123456

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I have just bought an Apple TV, and am very excited about how that will enable me to use my iPad2, but I can't get it to work.

I have connected it to my home wi-fi, and have turned on home sharing with my apple ID. I have done the same with my iPad. They are suppose to automatically see each other right? They don't.

I am on the latest OS.

I've run out of ideas. Any suggestions would be great.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
With mine and I can't remember in detail but I downloaded the Remote App to my iPad, switched the Apple TV on and it showed up in the remote app. I do recall that after that all my airplay enabled apps saw the Apple TV and streamed as soon as I touched the AirPlay icon.

The Archangel

Yarrenbool

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I have just bought an Apple TV, and am very excited about how that will enable me to use my iPad2, but I can't get it to work.

I have connected it to my home wi-fi, and have turned on home sharing with my apple ID. I have done the same with my iPad. They are suppose to automatically see each other right? They don't.

I am on the latest OS.

I've run out of ideas. Any suggestions would be great.

Just to be clear:

When you say "I am on the latest OS." you do mean the latest on BOTH the iPad AND the Apple TV, right? For mirroring to work it needs BOTH to be running the latest OSes!

The latest OS for Apple TV came out about a week or so ago and, I think, is 4.4.1 You can check by going to settings, General, About and you'll find it somewhere near the top. Then go lower down to Upgrade software. It will only let you upgrade if there is a new version available.

My apologies if this is what you meant.

Yarrenbool

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

to just simply use AirPlay there is no need to have the latest iOS. This is only necessary if you want to use AirPlay mirroring, I thought.

Knut

Oops, yes, you're right!

And after writing my previous message I checked my Apple TV updates and it has now updated my OS to 4.4.2.

K1W1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When you ay that you have turned on home sharing you do mean on a PC or Mac running iTunes don't you?
Apple TV needs a computer on the same network running iTunes with home sharing turned on for it to be able to do the mirroring and other Apple related features.

OP
M

Mikey123456

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for all the comments. All my OS's are up to date. I don't have an airplay icon, which is my problem.

So the comment around a PC or MAC running iTunes interests me - I can't find mention of the iPad in any of the user guides, so I did try this with my laptop and still got no-where. I don't have a MAC. I don't really want to have to have a PC on the whole time to share content on my iPad though.

Kricke

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I am not quite sure, but I think to simply use AirPlay and AirPlay mirroring you do not need to have the PC/Mac running or iTunes fired up or so. As long as an Apple Tv and an airplay capable device are on the same wireless network it works just fine.
Knut

OP
M

Mikey123456

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also - I don't have anything showing on the Computers menu on the Apple TV screen - I think this should list the computers I am sharing, but it can't see anything.

Kricke

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Can you watch YouTube videos on your TV screen through the Apple TV menue? To make sure that you are linked to the Internet?
And are you sure that both your devices, Apple TV and your iPad, are on the same network? Same subnet but slightly different IP address?

Knut

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mikey123456 said:
Thanks for all the comments. All my OS's are up to date. I don't have an airplay icon, which is my problem.

So the comment around a PC or MAC running iTunes interests me - I can't find mention of the iPad in any of the user guides, so I did try this with my laptop and still got no-where. I don't have a MAC. I don't really want to have to have a PC on the whole time to share content on my iPad though.

With your Apple TV turned on, double click your home button then swipe the bar at the bottom so you can see the far left hand side, the AirPlay button should be there.

The Archangel

OP
M

Mikey123456

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes can watch You-tube no probs. Definitely same network. I just found out that my iPad and PC are sharing OK - I downloaded an app onto the iPad and it sync'd with the PC without me connecting them. I wasn't expecting that! I have reset the config on the Apple TV and re-entered it all. Still same. Driving me crazy. I'd be happy to find out I am doing something dense, but I can't think of anything I haven't already tried.

Most reactions

Latest posts