What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Connecting external hd

Louisg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi I am new at this jst got my iPad yesterday for my Bday. Is there any way to connect an external hd to it. I've got tons of movies etc

lilman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The answer to your question is "kinda".

You will need to buy the camera connection kit (CCK). You can then connect a usb drive through the CCK to the iPad. However, the CCK was only designed for interfacing with a camera so in order to connect an external drive you must trick the iPad into thinking it is a camera. This is done by creating a DCIM folder in the root of the external drive and then place any photos or videos in that folder.

Other restrictions:
-Drive must be self-powered or draw very little power (like a thumb drive). The iPad will not power something like a wd passport because it requires too much energy.
-Drive must be fat/fat32.
-Can only transfer photos and videos... all other files will be ignored.
-Cannot stream videos. If you want to watch a video from an external device it must be imported to the iPad.

If you really want to get around those restrictions you can jailbreak your iPad. Search the forum for information about jailbreaking.

Hope that answered your question.

BcBruno

iPF Noob
Reaction score
lilman is right.

I bought the CCK. Using iFile from Cydia, i could read my 8Gb PenDriver formated in fat32.

With iFile, and a Pendriver, obviosly with the CCK, just open this directory /var/mnt/mount
Shazan! Here there're, all your files from your pendriver

I tried using a Sata External HD (NTFS, the reason to hasn't read), and didn't work, even trying type the commands to mount using the iSSH, and even more the Power Suply Port pluged on my PC.

i did exactaly what this TUTORIAL say, and The Youtube Video.

Last edited:
OP
L

Louisg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
External hd

Bruno tks for the info, however if you jailbreak the iPad don't you lose the ability for future updates from apple.

BcBruno

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bruno tks for the info, however if you jailbreak the iPad don't you lose the ability for future updates from apple.

No, you can upgrade normaly, but you will lose your Jailbreak, and all your installed programs (Cydia Apps), and tweaks. The jailbreak community it's really impressive. Hopefully on the release of Apple OS 4.0 for iPad, next day, we gonna have a jailbreak.

Most reactions