What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

confused about DropBox

jojoba

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How can I use DropBox to sync my apps but still keep separate files in separate apps? (e.g. keeping photos only in a photo app, and pdfs only in my pdf annotation apps). Is this possible?? Or do I need separate online spaces to sync between my pc and the different apps? Sorry if this question is stupid, I'm still in the process of trying to figure it all out...

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You seem to be under a misapprehension of what DropBox is.

Some apps have the ability to sign into DropBox to save and download files. Those apps treat dropbox as if it were a kind of folder system. You navigate and use it much the way you would a folder on a computer. But that is only within those apps. DropBox also has it's own app. You can use this app to view and download files from DropBox, and if an app is compatible (and registerers with iOS) you can use the Open In… feature to copy the file to the app. It also lets you copy files to and from the Photo app.

Some few apps do sync their file folders with DropBox (when they are opened or manually). This is entirely up to the developer, and has nothing to do with system wide synchronization. 1Password is an example of this kind of app.

The service that synchronizes Apple's apps, and the few developers who have rewritten their apps to take advantage of it, is iCloud. You can read about iCloud and what it does here. Don't read more into it than it says.

Last edited:
OP
J

jojoba

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Some few apps do sync their file folders with DropBox (when they are opened or manually).

Thanks, twerppoet. Yes, this is the kind of thing I'm thinking of - with PDF Expert, some of my notes apps, and iAnnotate in particular. I've been syncing PDF Expert in particular with Drop Box both to back up my annotations, and to transfer new files from my computer to my iPad. But I guess I need to approach this from a different angle.

Most reactions

Latest posts