What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Component Cable vs VGA Connector

RMSko

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the A/V component cable and am disappointed with the picture when connected to a TV (it only provides 480p). Does anyone know how much better the picture would look with the VGA Connector? I know it will NOT show iTunes movies, but I'm using it almost exclusively for DVDs that I own and have put on to my iPad and I assume this would work. Anyone have any thoughts?

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
VGA would give better picture but it really does have other factors like video quality itself if you got a video that is not great quality it will look even worse on the big TV.

Also VGA will not give any audio connections so you will have to also get a connector that works with your system and connects to the headphone jack.

OP
R

RMSko

iPF Noob
Reaction score
VGA would give better picture but it really does have other factors like video quality itself if you got a video that is not great quality it will look even worse on the big TV.

Also VGA will not give any audio connections so you will have to also get a connector that works with your system and connects to the headphone jack.

Thanks. I think the video quality is pretty decent (at least it looks fantastic on the iPad), but I'm not certain how much it would improve. It's H.264. Do you think based on that VGA would be a much better improvement than the 480p from the component cable?

The headphone jack is also an easy fix since I already own a splitter that will connect to my A/V receiver.

I think my biggest issue is that the connector's length is so short.

Last edited:

AVService

iPF Noob
Reaction score
They are both Analog HD and will really look about the same.
And yes the 2.64 Compression that lets you cram the video on the iPad is why.

Ed

OP
R

RMSko

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks all. At least now I won't waste my time with the VGA connector!

K4LK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the A/V component cable and am disappointed with the picture when connected to a TV (it only provides 480p). Does anyone know how much better the picture would look with the VGA Connector? I know it will NOT show iTunes movies, but I'm using it almost exclusively for DVDs that I own and have put on to my iPad and I assume this would work. Anyone have any thoughts?

You can play protected content with the component cable but not the VGA cable.

Most reactions