What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complaints on ios6

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
seebush said:
Tsuintx, how long do you usually wait before you update to the next OS, and how do you decide when to to update? KevinJS, is my only option (apart from waiting, I don't know how long), to take my ipad to the Apple store, which is miles away? This is my first Apple product and Probably my last. As I said, it shouldn't be this way. As bugs go, wouldn't you all agree that being unable to download and use a new OS at all is a fairly major bug (at least as far as that particular OS is concerned). I have a standard Windows 7 set up which is up to date and working correctly, so I'm guessing that millions of others are in the same position as me. There was a lot of razzamatazz and hype from Apple prior to the release of IOS6. I hope they are embarrassed. Obviously, I have nothing against any other poster, we all have to live in this crazy world. I am simply looking for information and passing on my opinion. Thanks.

Hi seebush

No, it sounds like you did everything right, and I don't know why you would up with a corrupted download. Unfortunately, I have no idea whether you can download it again on the same computer. My normal method of trying to solve members' problems is to try to recreate them on my own equipment. I've downloaded iOS 6 twice now with no problems. The only preparation I did was to download the latest version of iTunes before I started. I don't disable antivirus or firewall software, and I always run Vista as administrator.

Maybe going straight to the iPad is the best option here. Indeed, it sounds like the only option. Do the update OTA, making sure you have a good wifi signal.

Sorry to hear you've been having these problems, and thanks for realizing that we are all in this together. I hope things eventually work out for you. The iPad is a great piece of equipment, and apart from glitches like this, they run very well most of the time.

seebush

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, dhewson777 and KevinJS. Yes I have tried downloading IOS 6 directly from ipad more than once but with no success. I have also tried on more than one computer. I have tried a desktop with win7 pro, and a laptop with win7 premium. My cable broadband is fast and my modem/router is the latest available. Still no joy.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
@seebush:

If you are still having troubles getting a clean download and install of iOS 6, try using the steps outlined in this tutorial: http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...lsafe-method-restore-current-version-ios.html

If at all possible, try to avoid using the Internet Explorer browser. It downloads the iOS file (.ipsw) as a .zip file and generally makes a hash of things. I've had success using Firefox; others have had success with Chrome or Safari.

The main thing is to get a clean .ipsw download and then use DFU Mode to install it on your iPad.

Hope this helps.

Marilyn

Reaction score
I haven't updated ios6, and I really don't want to, I don't want to lose my YouTube app, I have many favorites stored on it. I dont want to lose them for they are my favorite videos and are hard to find again.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I haven't updated ios6, and I really don't want to, I don't want to lose my YouTube app, I have many favorites stored on it. I dont want to lose them for they are my favorite videos and are hard to find again.

You won't lose them, Amy. When I started using Jasmine all of my favorites and playlists were available right away.

susanlackey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yep, I don't use YouTube a lot, but the videos that I have saved as favorites also appear in the Jasmine app. Is anyone using the pro app, or are you guys just using the free version?

Asharp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I had originally planned to upgrade to 6 the first chance I had, but I haven't because I can't find the time to double check the backups of my files.

It seems like a few of the problems members report in this and similar threads could have been avoided by backing up data. However, members are also "complaining" about and asking for help with iOS 6 related data losses in areas I would not have anticipated, so I'm making sure I back up files I normally don't bother with to avoid potential data losses in those areas.

In addition, members are reporting problems that would seriously impact my work efficiency were such problems to happen to me, so now I'm subscribing to certain threads to see how their issues can be resolved so I can have workarounds handy just in case one is needed.

From this perspective, people's complaints and negative reports are not mere "whining" but quite valuable input that is helping people like me to reduce the possible incidence of future upgrading complications.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I had originally planned to upgrade to 6 the first chance I had, but I haven't because I can't find the time to double check the backups of my files.

It seems like a few of the problems members report in this and similar threads could have been avoided by backing up data. However, members are also "complaining" about and asking for help with iOS 6 related data losses in areas I would not have anticipated, so I'm making sure I back up files I normally don't bother with to avoid potential data losses in those areas.

In addition, members are reporting problems that would seriously impact my work efficiency were such problems to happen to me, so now I'm subscribing to certain threads to see how their issues can be resolved so I can have workarounds handy just in case one is needed.

From this perspective, people's complaints and negative reports are not mere "whining" but quite valuable input that is helping people like me to reduce the possible incidence of future upgrading complications.

It is important to remember that a lot of folks are not having any problems at all, aside from the lost of the youtube app and the change to maps. I updated two devices and neither of them suffered any data loss. The maps change has zero impact for me because it was always weak so i found better alternatives. Better to let google do its own apps than tk have apple doing it for them.

Asharp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
It is important to remember that a lot of folks are not having any problems at all, aside from the lost of the youtube app and the change to maps. I updated two devices and neither of them suffered any data loss. The maps change has zero impact for me because it was always weak so i found better alternatives. Better to let google do its own apps than tk have apple doing it for them.

I'm aware of that too. I read about the changes in 6 before the upgrade went into effect, so some of the common complaints aren't news to me.

And If I remember correctly, there were also a lot of complaints about the previous upgrade, but I never experienced a single problem myself. It's just that I have more to lose because the iPad is so much more a part of what I do than even 6 months ago that I'm just being a bit more cautious.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm aware of that too. I read about the changes in 6 before the upgrade went into effect, so some of the common complaints aren't news to me.

And If I remember correctly, there were also a lot of complaints about the previous upgrade, but I never experienced a single problem myself. It's just that I have more to lose because the iPad is so much more a part of what I do than even 6 months ago that I'm just being a bit more cautious.

I understand. I use my everyday at work. Integral to many functions. But since I use dropbox, I can quickly switch over to a laptop when needed.

susanlackey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dropbox is definitely worth having. We share a paid account and most of our life is on it. I also backup to iCloud too, just have too much important information I don't want to lose, and I want to have access to regardless of which type of technology I am.

Most reactions

Latest posts