What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Closing applications actually drains battery (Still under testing)

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It's not going to be a serious hit to battery life either way. The comment about stress to the devices is way overblown. However, it is a serious hit to personal productivity to be fiddling around with unloading background apps all the time. It's not what Apple intended, but people will just do whatever to waste time. It's their time to waste, too.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I will add that you DO want to force close the Facebook app if you have it. It is a battery drainer because it "abuses" it's VOIP function to continually stay active in the background - even after the 10 minutes normally allotted an app before it is sent to "deep freeze." That's because it is continually scanning the network, ready for someone to contact you with the new voice calling feature.

So, I always close it out fully when I am done with it. And, it's the only one I do...

Marilyn

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I will add that you DO want to force close the Facebook app if you have it. It is a battery drainer because it "abuses" it's VOIP function to continually stay active in the background - even after the 10 minutes normally allotted an app before it is sent to "deep freeze." That's because it is continually scanning the network, ready for someone to contact you with the new voice calling feature.

So, I always close it out fully when I am done with it. And, it's the only one I do...

Marilyn

Well that explains some things! I'd be out in the woods and find my phone battery drained within two to three hours or so when I hadn't even been using it! Thanks for posting that bit of info!

OP
Ser Aphim

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Marilyn

Oh! Thanks.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score

Marilyn

VOIP discovery requires the Chat be turned on, yes? I've never tried to use it, so I'm not sure

. I keep chat turned off, because I don't really want most of my friends knowing when I'm on FaceBook and interrupting me with random non-conversations when, most of the time, I'm just popping in to look on my way to somewhere else. I'm grumpy that way.

Anyway, I'm wondering if turning chat off would prevent this issue.

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
VOIP discovery requires the Chat be turned on, yes? I've never tried to use it, so I'm not sure

. I keep chat turned off, because I don't really want most of my friends knowing when I'm on FaceBook and interrupting me with random non-conversations when, most of the time, I'm just popping in to look on my way to somewhere else. I'm grumpy that way.

Anyway, I'm wondering if turning chat off would prevent this issue.

According to this article, the main battery draining culprit is the background services that Facebook uses:
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/techn...il&utm_campaign=editorial&net_sub_uid=6398877
It seems turning off Location Services (Settings>Privacy>Location Services) and Background App Refresh (Settings>General>Background App Refresh) will help that battery. Whether that has the same effect as turning chat off is not clear, to me at least as I don't use FB. But as Marilyn has indicated above, for sure FB is the one to watch re battery drain.
Andrew

Sent from Oz using Tapatalk

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks. That prompted a review of all my location and background refresh permissions, as well as shutting those things off for FaceBook.

OP
Ser Aphim

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You guys should really watch put for mail, every social networking apps, music streaming apps, and apps that use VOIP. These are what you really need to force close.

Ok so far I don't see much improvments on battery life yet. I compared it to It didn't worsen or anything but it made opening apps faster, as the cache, like what ardchoillle said, stays in the RAM. My iPad did not slow down even if the cache stays in the RAM.

I am comparing this using my average playing of Epoch 2. Right now my iPad managed to stay 11 hours. Seems as if my iPad battery didn mt improve at all. Nor worsened. Still though I would still keep doing this as it made my iPad faster opening apps. And it saved me some time :)

If anyone get improved battery life please post it here. Thanks.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It's not going to be a serious hit to battery life either way. The comment about stress to the devices is way overblown. However, it is a serious hit to personal productivity to be fiddling around with unloading background apps all the time. It's not what Apple intended, but people will just do whatever to waste time. It's their time to waste, too.

Honestly, I have severe OCD and having a bunch of apps running in the background for no real reason just gets under my skin.:D

But, I might do a test myself over the weekend and see what happens.....

OP
Ser Aphim

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Since the battery is only rated for about 10 hours (on average) I don't think you are suffering any by getting 11.

Well then I am not suffering.

Anyways, right now it seems that my iPad battery could last around 11-12 hours. Thats the everage I get everytime so. I guess no battery drain at all. And my iPad is perfoming normally. No crashes, no feezes. Everything is going great.

Commodore

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Is there a difference as to how various apps are "frozen"? A while ago I installed SwitcherMod tweak on my jailbroken iPad (still running iOS6), which makes closing apps somehow easier, and it also displays apps icons in the task switcher differently: some of them are in full color (the usual behavior), while some are more faint and transparent. I remember it was mentioned that only the latter are actually frozen, whereas the others still run in the background. Right now, for instance, only Safari is like that, while Messages, Mail, Dropbox, Messenger, Settings, Photos... are in full color.

Unless this is how it was handled prior to iOS 7 - that most of the apps were running as if it were "background app refresh" approved?

OP
Ser Aphim

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Is there a difference as to how various apps are "frozen"? A while ago I installed SwitcherMod tweak on my jailbroken iPad (still running iOS6), which makes closing apps somehow easier, and it also displays apps icons in the task switcher differently: some of them are in full color (the usual behavior), while some are more faint and transparent. I remember it was mentioned that only the latter are actually frozen, whereas the others still run in the background. Right now, for instance, only Safari is like that, while Messages, Mail, Dropbox, Messenger, Settings, Photos... are in full color.

Unless this is how it was handled prior to iOS 7 - that most of the apps were running as if it were "background app refresh" approved?

I'm not familiar with this tweak though. So if the apps are in full color, they are running in the background, while faint and transparent apps are the ones closed on the background?

There are exceptions. If the app is doing an activity in the background, it would stay open until it is finished. But mail, messages, and other social networking apps always checks for new messages, posts/tweets, and other things when open in the background, thus draining battery. And no iOS 6 doesn't have the "Background App Refresh" ability.

Good karma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OH MAN!!! for 4 year i been force closing apps thinning i am saving battery life and freeing up resource (RAM), this topic is an eye opener, from now on i will not bother with closing apps in the back ground

Most reactions

Latest posts