What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cleaning The Screen?

juniorgolf18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What is recommended to clean the screen with (iPad2) ?

I've got the little square things that got at Best Buy with the soft felt like stuff on the back to wipe it clean, but wasn't sure if recommended to clean with some solution, water, windex since glass...lol

Thanks...

Jeeper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do Not put any liquid on the screen, you will totally bum out! The little cloth things work fine. I use the ones I get for my eye glasses.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Juniorgolf - there is already plenty of information on this topic available on the forum - please try the search function for more detailed posts - a suggestion. :)

But, be careful in cleaning the iPad glass screen (suggestions are available also in the Apple iPad support area) - I use a microfiber cloth (like those for LCD screens, CDs, glasses, etc.) just slightly dampened w/ a little water; do not use a lot of water and certainly none of the products that you mentioned (such as Windex); the screen has an oleophobic coating to help prevent adherence of oils from the fingers; this coating can be damaged w/ an aggressive or abrasive surface cleaning - just go easy, don't clean that often, and use a gentle method - good luck!

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Honestly - a very soft micro-cloth and a little "breath" does wonders with this screen. You can also dab it with lukewarm water(just a few dabs or touches) and then wipe it with a soft cloth. Its the same method I clean telescope gear with and those lenses are all like brand new. No harsh cleaners, like Windex or whatever solution someone sells you. Just my 2 cents.

OP
J

juniorgolf18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok. Thx guys.

I used one of those little pouch things for cleaning screens. Hope didn't mess it up. Seems ok though.

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No products that contain alcohol. iKlear makes a packet containing several cloth sizes that is excellent. Lastly, I dont want to gross anybody out; but, for a stubborn spot, saliva works wonders. :)

Last edited:

Milliebert

iPF Noob
Reaction score
info said:
No products that contain alcohol. iKlear makes a packet containing several cloth sizes that is excellent. Lastly, for a stubborn spot saliva works wonders. :)

Noooooo! Saliva contains amylase, a chemical which breaks stuff down. I wouldn't do that on these screens. Warm breath and a microfibre cloth does the trick!

Milliebert

iPF Noob
Reaction score
info said:
???? I've always used this "technique."

On normal untreated glass yes, but on these screens nooooo! My daughters optician told us not even to do that on her lenses in her glasses as they have coatings on them and the saliva will break it down. She always used to "spit and polish" them in class. As these have the oleophobic coating on, I'd never risk it.

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My screen must be a mess. ;). Good to hear about it though...

Last edited:

snowboarder8985

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use spray windex on a paper towel and use that. I haven't had any problems yet. Also I have a 3 year square trade warranty on it, so I'm not concerned about it getting damaged.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
These screens are fairly tough. I often carry my iTouch in my side pocket with a little change and sometimes my keys; and, though I try to turn it away from these objects, they sometimes come in contact with the screen. There is not a single scratch on it. I much more careful with the iPad.

I agree with Millie though, better to be safe than sorry.

ian russell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When does the screen need cleaning? I've used mine every day since April and it still looks okay. Though I do use a stylus mostly.

Milliebert

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ian russell said:
When does the screen need cleaning? I've used mine every day since April and it still looks okay. Though I do use a stylus mostly.

I guess just when you think it does. I don't clean mi e at all when it's got the screen protector on as it doesn't seem to get greased up. But when it has no protection, I wipe it once a day with a microfibre cloth that I bought from the retailer where I bought the iPad.

How do you get on with the stylus? I thought about getting one, but not sure how much I'd use it.

Most reactions

Latest posts