What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Child-Proof iPad 1 (Otterbox vs Kraken vs Big Grips)

Born2golf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My family loves our iPad especially our 2.5 year old son. The iPad interface far suprasses anything he can get from a junky leapfrog learning toy. However, 2 year olds are prone to accidents (drops). Recently the ipad was dropped and althought there was no physical damage, the USB would no longer connect and would not take a charge either, but luckily this was replaced by apple. So I am now researching a good case to protect the device while keeping it accessible to everyone. I have found the following 3 options and am looking for opinions on any/all of the them. Or am I missing any other good options?

My Criteria is:
1. protection against drops and shock
2. provides comfortable grip for small childs hands, without adding too much weight
3. Has a way to stand up on a table (protrait AND landscape preferably)
4. protection against spills (this hasn't been a problem, but better safe than sorry)

Otterbox Defender: Appears to be a proven rugged technology that offers good protection against physical damage, but I am concerned about the ability to handle shock. I've also hear grumblings about difficulty connecting to the charger with the defender in place. I like that this case has a built in kickstand (landscape only). iPad Defender Series Case, iPad Case, iPad Cases // OtterBox.com

Trident Kraken: This appear to go beyond what the otter box offers and I like that the handholds on the side are large enough to avoid grabbing the screen, however there is no built in kickstand. I like the color options on this one. Ultra-Durable Phone and iPad Cases Offer Unsurpassed Protection, Ergonomic Design and Striking Style

Big Grips: From what I can tell this case is just a big soft spongy foam that wraps the ipad. I actually like this idea, because my older child has a similiar case made by nerf for his nintendo DS. If he drops his DS it literally bounces. This case does not have a kickstand but has an optional base which can hold the case in portrait or landscape mode. I like that the base works both ways but I also worry about it yet another thing to get lost. Also, I know how hard my kids presses the ipad and I would be concerned they would stretch out the base since it is the same material as the case. Big Grips Frame? - The iPad® Case for Kids

For the record I am currently using a merkury dual flipstand, which I like because the built in kick stand allows the iPad to stand in both portrait and landscape modes, but also provide a small bit of leather around the whole screen which helps small hands hold it, but it offers little protection against the floor. Merkury Innovations

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

jmbarker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are you in the states? Google Army iPad trials. They are testing cases for use in combat areas. One stood out but I cannot recall the name/brand.

OP
B

Born2golf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are you in the states? Google Army iPad trials. They are testing cases for use in combat areas. One stood out but I cannot recall the name/brand.

I'm laughing for 2 reasons...

1. When I googled "army ipad trials" as you suggested one of the first results was THIS thread, which has only been active for a few minutes. I'm pretty impressed with the speed google indexes the web.
2. The first few results I see are very cool, but probably a bit more protection that my 2 year old needs!

Thanks!

Last edited:

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try the Griffin ipad case on there website to see if it fits your need

jmbarker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Griffin Survivor case for the iPad 2 meets military standards for protection
Posted: 15 Jun 2011, 00:48, by Ken N.Categories: Accessories, Apple, TabletsBookmark