What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Otterbox Review

sleepydoc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just fitted out an IPAD3 with an Otterbox defender case and thought I would share some opinions.
the case itself is made of three major components. the cover which doubles as a stand, the silicone jacket and the polycarbonate case. assembly was straightforward and fit of the iPad 3 in the ipad 2 case was good, but lets get down to the form and function.
Bulk: Well its almost not a portable device any longer, the case is bulky in fact too bulky. Once you remove the stand/cover its a bit better but then unless you clip the cover on the back you have to find someplace to put it and this adds one layer of inconvenience. the iPad 3 becomes over an inch thick and heavy too. It just does not slide into a bag easily any more. be nice to have some sort of thin fold down cover. By the way, the magnets do not shut off the iPad.
Protection: against shocks, very good, dust- poor water/moisture none
The drop protection is good, minor bumps and bings in a boat were well absorbed, however dust entered every port and soon permeated the case. Poorly protected area were the speaker which is completely unprotected, the microphone, and both the rear and front cameras. All almost seem to attract dust which seemed to distribute well through the case. After two days on dusty roads I had to take everything apart and clean it with the speaker taking the worst hit.
Moisture: Otterbox clearly states that this is not a waterproof or water resistant box. They speak the truth. I tested it empty and after one hour at the helm of a boat an iPad would have been toast. Worse still any rain would have been fatal for the iPad.
Function: the bulk is an issue and it is heavy, the cover only one position as a stand and otherwise a lot of bulk for what it does and..... you need some place to put
Overall its bulky shock protection and little more. I have had otter boxes for an iPhone as well and had the same issues. If you are looking for waterproof and rustproof try LIFEPROOF boxes which have their own unique problems but give similar shock protection but total water and dust protection. The iPad 3 version of this case are not out yet but their iPhone cases are top notch.

Tasty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I love my outerbox defender Ipad case, I think it loos great, I like the way that it feels in my hand, I was always worry about using my ipad with just my hands, and with the outerbox defender Ipad case , just feels good to me as well as provide excellent protection.

Last edited:

schmidtj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the Otterbox Defender for the New Ipad (3) and like it for it's protection BUT the built in screen protector degrades the Retina Display to the point I can not tell any difference between the New iPad's display and my original iPad 1's display. The screen protector makes the image (especially the whites) look very grainy and definitely not Retina quality.

Morgster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've had the Otterbox for a couple of weeks now and while I'll agree it has some drawbacks, one needs to accept that certain compromises are necessary in order to provide the kind of protection it promises. It's a scratch, dent and shock protection case. It's not dust or waterproof. Is it bulky, well, it needs to have a certain amount of bulk in order to protect your iPad. Does the screen protector effect the display, well, yes, but probably no more than any other screen protector. I like the fact that I can toss my iPad in a briefcase or bag without concern. And I really like the stand. I'm typing this on my lap using an Apple wireless keyboard. Very nice. And the cover turns my iPad off like a smart cover. All in all, it was a good purchase. This is my first tablet and without a hard case, I was afraid I was going to drop or scratch it. I should make it clear that this is the iPad 3 version of the Defender case. I understand it will fit the iPad 2.

Last edited:

Todd400

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I like mine, picked a new one on eBay for $60 shipped and really like it, I only use the cover at night to put it in sleep mode while charging, I needed a sturdy case that felt good in my hands and has excellent protection from falls etc. The screen protector is fine for me as the ipad3 is my first iPad so I guess I don't know what I'm missing lol. I do find the otterbox on my iPhone 4s was just too cumbersome except for work and use a Belkin grip candy everywhere else. I have read quite a few complaints on fit and the cover not putting the iPad to sleep for some people but I guess I lucked out ?

ICEMAN 316

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I love my otterbox too! I took off the screen protector that came with the otterbox and replaced it with The Invisible Shield HD and it's awesome!

Tasty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My outerbox defender case for my new iPad cover is great, not only does it doubles as a stand, it puts my iPad to sleep I can just toss it into my bag with no worries.

Last edited:

iZach

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought a Defender Series case for my iPad 3 in the same transaction and have absolutely loved it. I have no regrets at all, the cover has always put it to sleep, and I love the cover for putting my iPad in my book bag while walking around campus. When I go to get my iPhone 5 next month, I'll be buying a Defender Series case in the same transaction. I've been nothing but happy with Otterbox.

Sent from my iPad 3 using iPF

stoic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just got mine. I'm afraid that the inside plastic around the circle cut out will scratch my iPad. It is very rough and sharp. Has anyone had their iPad scratched?

iZach

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've had my iPad 3 in my Otterbox Defender since the day I bought it ( September 19th ) and it doesn't have a scratch on it.

IOShowtodude

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was able to sell my old iPad 2 luckily that had a lot of dents and scratches and I regretted it but now I have my new mini and I put an Otterbox on it the second I got it as we'll. It's a good idea because when you want to sell it you can almost get full price because its in mint condition. Otterbox is on the top ten list for accessories for iPad in my books.

Most reactions

Latest posts