What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Otterbox Defender iPad 2 case - my thoughts.

PatriciaF

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I purchased my OtterBox for my iPhone on eBay. Got it at least $30.00 cheaper and it was the same one, not a rip-off. I'm still debating about getting one for my iPad. It's rather chunkey. Right now I am using Targus 360 swivel case.

carlnunes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I too just got my Otterbox Defender for the iPad 2 and was very disappionted about the exposed areas at each corner. For the life of me I cannot figure out why they did this... I mean the whole idea behind it is to be durable and add protection yet they leave portions of the screen exposed? ...

It's an ingenious design that combines protecting the screen and snap on back cover with low profile rubber feet; leaving ports, speaker, and camera ready for use. Imagine throwing this in a duffle bag of clothes; screen cover on. The only thing you risk is dust. Sounds like you need a more durable case? Maybe just enclose the whole thing in a padded camera case or do what many others have done and get a bad ass screen protector!

Rog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just got mine from Costco.com for 59.99.

I like it.

Sent from my huge iPod touch via IPF.

PatriciaF

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I decided not to get the OtterBox for my iPad2. I have the Targus 360. I also purchased a soft carry case no bigger then the iPad2 so I slip it all in the carry case to keep it clean when I travel. At home, naturally, I do not use the carry case.

dbryant11

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have one for the iPad 1 and can't imagine a more secure case. I'm in construction and so far it's awesome. Total protection, cover, stand, easy to hold, etc. DOES double the weight, but worth it. Got mine on Amazon for considerably less, and found it later on EBay for less yet. Highly recommended.......

Phatboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are there two versions of the Defender case for the ipad2? I read earlier reviews indicating that the Defender for the ipad2 inexplicably exposed the corners but judging from the pics of the case I've seen on Amazon recently, I don't see any exposed corners.

Wookiee2cu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The pics are a little deceiving, look at this pic, I circled the exposed areas.

otterbox.jpg

I was a little disappointed when I put it on my iPad and discovered this. Sold it on craigslist a few days later.

TraumaBoy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the iPad 2 defender case from Otterbox. I looked at others including the Griffin Survivor, as well as the multitude of other protector cases out on the market now. The Defender meet most my needs, and I so I roll with that. I do note it does have some flaws, but until the perfect case comes out, which I will look forward too, it will do.

TraumaBoy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Phatboy said:
Are there two versions of the Defender case for the ipad2? I read earlier reviews indicating that the Defender for the ipad2 inexplicably exposed the corners but judging from the pics of the case I've seen on Amazon recently, I don't see any exposed corners.

No. There was a defender case for the iPad1 and one for the iPad2 which has the exposed corners of the screen as mentioned above.

Jairen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I recieved the Otterbox defender along with the Griffin Survivor case 2 weeks ago. I have 2 iPad2's, one for me and one for the wife.

I am extremely disappointed on how flimsy the Otterbox Defender feels against the Survivor case.

The silicone in the defender case peels off easily with normal use one the corners. I hate how you can feel the tabs on the dock flap and the headphone cover doesn't want to stay closed on occasion. Great idea but bad design.

The Survivor case just feels more solid and don't have to worry about the flimsy peeling silicone.

tek_1975

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been using Otterbox products for both my iPhone and iPad and they work really well. The otterbox for the iphone is a little big for my liking but it has saved me quite a few times from having a broken phone.

dani5302

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got an Otterbox Defender for my iPad 2 as a gift for Christmas. Have been using it for two months and find it to be easy to use and feel that it protects my precious device. Today a tab broke on the hard cover and I cringed, thinking the warranty claim procedure would be an inconvenient experience (searching for sales receipt, packing and shipping, etc.) instead, I was pleasantly surprised. I phoned the Otterbox toll free number (at 9:15 p.m.!) and spoke with a nice young man who took my information and told me that I should receive my new replacement cover in 3 - 5 days. What a class act.

Most reactions

Latest posts