What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Checklist for troubleshooting Wi-Fi connection problems.

txteevee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.filmandmediaent.com
PatriciaF said:
I finally gave up trying to get the iPhone and iPad2 to connect to my home wifi. It worked outside the house with no problems. $327 dollars later, it's now working. I needed a new router, needed to connect a laptop and a wireless printer. I forgot that those two items needed to be setup with or without a new router. Oh well, now my bill won't be so high when I surf the web. Glad you got yours to work.:)

:-( too bad you had to pay, but at least you'll save in the long run....

iPro

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have wifi-problems as well. When i try to connect to internet, i always go to settings and there i click the name of our router at home
(so i do receive a signal, 3 bars actually).
But when i click it it my iPad tries to connect, which doesn't work.
I get a message saying "you can't connect to...".
If you guys have some tips for my problem that woulde be nice.
Thank you!

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have wifi-problems as well. When i try to connect to internet, i always go to settings and there i click the name of our router at home
Thank you!
Several things often help improve WiFi connections on the iPad. Simply restarting the iPad can fix most issues. Hold down the power switch (outside edge) by itself until the red slider appears. Turn it off by sliding the switch and then once again hold down the power switch until the Apple logo appears.

Resetting the iPad should be reserved for a non-responsive unit as it addresses other activity but if restarting doesn't do it, resetting it might. Hold down the power and home buttons until the slider appears and shut it down. Hold down the power switch again until the Apple logo appears. Fully booting up from a reset will take a little longer than a restart.

More here:

iPhone, iPad, iPod touch: Turning off and on (restarting) and resetting

Another is to reboot your network and everything on it including your modem, router, etc. while your iPad is off. Turn your iPad back on and see if the connection has improved.

Lastly you can try deleting the network connection on your iPad and then go back and set it up again. Settings > Wi-Fi > tap on your network > Forget this Network.

Here's some more info if none of that works...

iOS: Troubleshooting Wi-Fi networks and connections

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-2-forum/38535-slowing-i-pad2-2.html#post291682

Hope that helps and let us know how it goes!

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPro said:
Thank you!

It would also be useful to know if you have ever successfully connected to this router?

iPro

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It would also be useful to know if you have ever successfully connected to this router?

I forgot to mention that: yes i have already succesfully connected to internet, but the last 2 days i haven't. Before that i could sometimes connect to internet, but once every day or something like that. Does this make a difference?

ipadbraincell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would try using a fixed ip for your iPad say 192.168.0.201 (1st three sets of numbers have to match your routers address) then set your routers DHCP range to be below 200.

iPro

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would try using a fixed ip for your iPad say 192.168.0.201 (1st three sets of numbers have to match your routers address) then set your routers DHCP range to be below 200.

Hmm good idea, how do i do that? I presume i have to change something in the settings :).

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hmm good idea, how do i do that? I presume i have to change something in the settings :).
You need to change two things actually, how your modem/router is set up and how your iPad is set up.

Here's a good article about setting up your modem/router with a a static IP address that can be assigned to your iPad:

Get A Static IP! How to set a static ip address for your computer (for p2p, web servers, bittorrent, etc) for Linux, Windows, and Mac.

Here is how to set up your iPad with a static IP address:

How to connect an iPad to a Wireless or Wi-Fi network

This may or may not address your issues, but it's worth a try.

Let us know how it goes!

ipadbraincell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you google 'port forwarding' you will be able to find specific instructions for your modem (modem is also called a gateway).

Get to dhcp settings and set upper range (normally 254) to say 150.

This leaves addresses available for devices with static ip's above 150.

In network on you pad click 'Static ip' and set to say xxx.xxx.xxx.200.

The above helps if you are having interference issues, by speeding up the log on. Your not waiting for the dhcp server to issue a dynamic ip to you errant device.

No guarantees but has solved many a Wifi printer and laptop issue :).

iPro

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok i will try it then. I just have a couple more questions:
Will chosing an ip address for the ipad affect our laptop?
I checked the information i need to fill in on our laptop; there were only 8 numbers in total for our ip address... normally there are 11 right?
Thank you for your patience :)

iPro

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh wait i might understand it:
the IP-address of our computer is 192.168.1.2.
So for our ipad i can choose 192.168.1.3. or isn't that the smartest choice?

ipadbraincell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPro said:
Oh wait i might understand it:
the IP-address of our computer is 192.168.1.2.
So for our ipad i can choose 192.168.1.3. or isn't that the smartest choice?

No, your laptop (or any other device is given an ip via the routers server. We wan't your iPad to log in to a known free ip address area.

If you make your iPad fixed at '3' it may possibly clash with a printer, ps3, xbox360 or other device on your network so to prevent this you reserve a block of addresses like I set out well away from the normal dynamically selected ip's.

Nothing to stop you giving every device on your network a fixed ip, big companies will often set device types into areas. Example printers to 100 - 120, fax machines 150 - 200. Just makes life easier for the tech jock to analyse and/or to keep track of.

Way to think of it is a mum looks to collect her child but knows he/she is at No 28 for a sleep over, so she has no need to bang on other doors in the street to ask.

dynamic ip's (I.e addresses auto handled by your router) are used general purpose, to make it more plug in and play for the less technical minded home or soho users, normally this works fine but if you have a device with a faulty network card, or you have a lot if WiFi activity locally, this can cause issues with addressing.

iPro

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Right, that makes sense. Ok final question then: what do i need to type in dor DNS? I searched on the laptop for this but it wasn't filled in...

ipadbraincell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPro said:
Right, that makes sense. Ok final question then: what do i need to type in dor DNS? I searched on the laptop for this but it wasn't filled in...

Leave as it is -just trust me ;)

OP
JJK

JJK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPro said:

You can leave it as it is, but you can also use google DNS.

I use it, because it is faster then my providers DNS.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts